Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
straight cash homie
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/chrysler-auto-workers-busted_20100923_dk
myFOXDetroit.com Staff - We're all rooting for the auto industry to come back stronger than ever. It affects every one of us here in metro Detroit and across the country because it's so important to our economy.

Fox 2's Rob Wolchek got a tip about what some guys are doing at Chrysler's Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit. This is the same plant that President Barack Obama visited back in July and talked about the significance of manufacturing in America.

The same place where the President remarked on the tax-payer generated government loan saying "I believed that if each of us were willing to work and sacrifice in the short term -- workers, management, creditors, shareholders, retirees, communities -- it could mark a new beginning for a great American industry. And if we could summon that sense of teamwork and common purpose, we could once again see the best cars in the world designed, engineered, forged, and built right here in Detroit, right here in the Midwest, right here in the United States of America."

Response from Chrysler; transcript from video interview with Scott Garberding, Senior Vice President - Manufacturing:

I'm very, very disturbed about what I just saw in the video and I want to make it clear that we at Chrysler take it very seriously. For us this behavior is totally unacceptable and will be dealt with swiftly. In fact, we've already identified a few of the people involved in this incident. Each of them has been suspended indefinitely, without pay, pending further investigation. We'll continue to pursue this in fact, until we're done.

What's difficult about this is these few people, who exhibited bad behavior, have painted a bad picture what's an outstanding assembly plant, filled with outstanding committed Chrysler employees at Jefferson North. I want to make it clear that we're proud of our plant, we're very proud of the people at Jefferson North.

Lastly I want to say that when we build a vehicle we go to a lot of detail to make sure that even a few people in a situation like this, in fact cannot effect the quality of the vehicle. We have detail systems in place to make sure that every operation is completed and we do multiple-redundants to ensure quality of the vehicles we make.

Response from the UAW:

The UAW strongly opposes the use of controlled substances or alcohol use on the job. This type of behavior jeopardizes the health and safety of all employees. We also recognize that, unfortunately, these behaviors exist in our society.

The UAW and the Chrysler Corporation work together to keep our workplaces drug and alcohol free, and to encourage employees with substance abuse problems to get the treatment they need. The employees involved in this situation do not represent the vast majority of workers at Chrysler who do a great job making high quality vehicles in some of the most productive manufacturing facilities in the United States.
This Fox affiliate did the story based on a tip from OTHER UAW workers inside the same plant. Let this be a lesson to ANYBODY drinking during the workday.

·
Save The Manuals
1999 Avalon XLS
1,837 Posts
Idiots. :facepalm:

·
Registered
04 Lexus ES
182 Posts
I live in Mich. and this kind of crap has been going on for years. All the big three do this and many other plants and factories do this. So do a lot of white collar people. I like to drink, but not at or before work. We get random drug and alcohol test. I just got sent to the clinic about a month ago, two more yesterday. I test positive, fired. Three people got fired so far this year.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
I've heard about this. Employees would hang at the bar for hours on end during the work day! No wonder the domestics want to get rid of these UAW leeches. Okay not all of them are like this and its mostly the organization but I'm not surprised about this. Then they bitch why jobs go overseas. :disappoin:disappoin

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Most of us like to party. Work simply isn't the place for it.

Fire those who don't comply with this simple rule of life and move on.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Most of us like to party. Work simply isn't the place for it.

Fire those who don't comply with this simple rule of life and move on.
Agreed. I don't care whether it's a production line worker, medical doctor, firefighter, or whoever, work is not the place for booze or drugs. Fire them and move on.

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
Slow news day?
:lol: Well, you have to remember, this is the most important news in the area. Ironically enough, my econ teacher asked me if when I heard of Chrysler workers doing something like this, would I figure it was beliveable? How awesome is their timing?

On a more serious tone though, this happens everywhere, not just at UAW jobs. Dunno why you'd want to drink on the job, and then wonder why your job gets outsourced to China because consumers hate your product... And Zembonez is right. Just fire those who don't comply with that rule, easy enough right?

·
Registered
04 Lexus ES
182 Posts
If I fail a drug test or get caught drinking on the job, I'm fired. The unions allow the rules to be broken.

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
If I fail a drug test or get caught drinking on the job, I'm fired. The unions allow the rules to be broken.
Glad to see we agree on that. The fundamental idea behind unions is good. Protect workers, protect salaries and jobs. Unfortunately, I think the UAW is abusing it's power.

A friend of mine is a manager (trucking business) and his employees are union protected. A couple of years ago, he found a guy sleeping on the job in his truck. Guy warned him. Couple of days later, same thing, so he fires him on the spot.

About a week later, the guy shows up with a lawyer and a union rep, and strongarms him into getting back his job. The union's argument was that the manager should give a verbal warning first, then a written warning. When the 3rd time to come around, then and only then is he allowed to fire him.

You can imagine what later happened to this guy.

·
straight cash homie
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea, you can't just fire someone from the UAW. hell, he might make MORE money if they fired him. UAW benefits and unemployment.
Also, many that work in these industries say that management looks the other way, and stuff like this keeps happening. This seems to be the FIRST to be caught and publicized, so there is pressure on the company as well as the union to do the right thing and change the past culture of corruption.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
the guy shows up with a lawyer and a union rep, and strongarms him into getting back his job.
Right there clearly states what is so wrong with this country. Quite frankly, I'm surprised there is even a single obstetrician left in America due to lawyers.

·
TN's Mad Chemist
95 Camry
3,127 Posts
Right there clearly states what is so wrong with this country. Quite frankly, I'm surprised there is even a single obstetrician left in America due to lawyers.
That is so true! Some people will jump on any chance to get a bit of change of anyone... The truth is, most people in the US (or at least I'd like to think so) don't do the whole sue your a** thing, but the rest of us pay for the few who do that!:disappoin

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
most people in the US (or at least I'd like to think so) don't do the whole sue your a** thing, but the rest of us pay for the few who do that!:disappoin
In California they do. :facepalm: Examples are legion. Welcome to California....:hi:

·
straight cash homie
21,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chrysler fires 13 workers involved in drinking on the job, suspends two

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/27/chrysler-fires-13-workers-involved-in-drinking-on-the-job-suspe
A group of Chrysler employees have been in the news lately, causing a bit of a black eye for the automaker. Originally, a Detroit Fox affiliate snagged video of the UAW members really enjoying their break – by smoking weed and drinking beer. Chrysler reacted to the news swiftly, by identifying and suspending 15 employees who were ID'd in the clip. Now, after taking time to investigate the entire incident, Chrysler has put the hammer down – 13 of the Jefferson North Plant employees have been fired and the other two get an unpaid, one-month "vacation."

It's a shame that this happened, but it's good to see Chrysler respond so quickly.
Chrysler Group has completed its investigation of the Jefferson North employees recently suspended for inappropriate conduct during their lunch period. It has been determined that 13 employees engaged in behavior that violated the Company's Standards of Conduct and these 13 employees were discharged today. Two remaining employees will receive a one month disciplinary layoff without pay.

As is evidenced by the swift action taken in this matter, it should be clear that Chrysler Group will not tolerate such behavior and will continue to evaluate its protocols to ensure that something like this does not happen again.

Our customers can be assured that the Jefferson North Assembly Plant has implemented a comprehensive quality system for all of the vehicles it builds. This system has redundant controls that do not allow a single person's error to result in a quality problem flowing to the customer. In fact, early warranty results indicate that the quality performance from the launch of the new Grand Cherokee may be the best launch in the history of Chrysler for vehicle reliability.

It is unfortunate that the actions of a few people have called into question the reputation of more than 51,000 very proud, hard-working Chrysler Group employees, grateful that the American and Canadian taxpayers gave us a second chance. We take that responsibility very seriously and will work to restore the public's faith.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts