Toyota Nation Forum banner

CIA or Short Air Intake (general question)

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Bizon71 
#1 ·
I am unsure of what kind of intake i should get for my car. I know there have been many links in referring people to intakes but i want peoples opinions on what the best intake they think by personal experience not by website. Also i live in florida so the weather is unpredictable and sometimes there are major puddles and stuff, so i am kinda of leaning away from a CIA but its not out of the picture. I see the link for the cosmo intake. is it worth it, seems kinda of cheap compared to the K&N and injen products? I gues what i am asking is i want opinions and personal experience on intakes that people have and what do you recommend for my 06 matrix XR

#3 ·
I have also see that kind on intake and i think it was injen or aem i cant remember i will have to look it up but they call it the CCI complete cold intake. durning the summer you can have a cold intake and then durning the reainy season you can take you the extension and have a short air intake,

thank you for your replies.

if anyone as opinions please let me know

Also i dont mind spending a lil bit of money to get a good system so please tell all

#4 ·
The SR is said to be a little better for low end, but with the cost of taking in hotter engine compartment air. The CAI's are said to be better on the top end and pull in (obviously) colder air, at the expense of hydrolocking in deep puddles. Personally, I have an SR which I primarily chose for the ease of installation. "Some" CAI's require a little engine bay modification so the filter will clear certain areas.

Either system will give you an increase inHP and TQ and will make the engine a lot louder (but in a good way).

#6 ·
My next question i guess is I have an 06 XR does the 03 or 04 or 05 fit my 06. and if the injen will fit my trix how much did you pay for it.

#7 ·
titaniumXR said:
My next question i guess is I have an 06 XR does the 03 or 04 or 05 fit my 06. and if the injen will fit my trix how much did you pay for it.
I'm not sure for your model year but since yours is a DBW (or should be IIRC), there may be a couple of other things that you have to do so you don't get a CEL after install. PM me for a link to another site which may provide some more information for you.

#8 ·
From my experience you should make sure that the year of the intake matches the year of your car....i made a mistake before of buying the '03 version of the AEM intake for my '04 matrix because they have the same engine right??? WRONG!!!! they put all new sensors in the '04 so that intake did match and it messed up. I got my intake from www.hopupracing.com, they are really cheap and have fast shiping check it out.

#9 ·
Yeah i understand the concept but for example K&N has a typhoon SR intake that fits the 03 to 06 so i wasnt sure if the were all the same. and for the 06 there really isnt anything out there that is decent. I go to aem, and injen but they dont have anything. Cosome has a CAI for my car but i havent heard anything reviews on cosomo intakes, so i dont know.

#10 ·
I have an 06 base. it is virtually the same as XR but without some frills. I have had both the SRI and the CAI. Both Cosmo and in winter I prefered the short intake and in summer I think the CAI will be better esp when waiting at a light or something. The SRI is by far the easiest to install and maintain. That being said unless you are not mechanically inclined whatsoever the CAI is not all that hard to install at all. On the DBW cars 06 for sure there is basically nothing to the connections. One assembly just comes off the oem air box as one part and has nothing to do with the box except as a mount. The only thing that has to be attached to the intake is the hose that comes from under the engine cover, thats it. I made a small bracket to support what came off the oem air box but it can be zip tied to something else, just keep the hoses from kinking. the cold air requires a spacer be put under you fuse box and involves a grand total of 3 screws. The CAI can also be done with the bumper on as well just makes it a bit difficult. If you do get the Cosmo I did have to cut about an inch and a helf off the end to make other fllters fit good.

Now about the Cosmo the quality of the intake is good and I have not had a problem at all with it. The filter though is crap and I would replace it right away since it is just going in. This is for the SRI and the CAI they are the same filters.

I agree too that the SRI will help low end and the CAI will improve upper middle to high end. I didn't rum the CAI in summer yet as I just put it in about a month ago but I was sure with the SRI sitting in traffic ect pulling in all that hot air into the engine was affecting idle and to some point launch.

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
thank you very much for all the information i appreciate it. i would like to hear more experiences with intakes if anyone else has more.

#13 ·
You can get a heatshield from Injen or a guy named bluecrush(i think) made a custom shield/box from a batter cover off of another car. I have a Injen CAI w/ a AEM dryflow filter, the best combo. Yo' check ebay 'cause i saw a AEM CAI for like $76, i don't know if you got strict ass emission laws like us cali. folk but if you don't then you can get any intake and it should work, just get a good filter. Check out matrixowners.com in the classified section for something.

#14 ·
if you decide to get a cold air, the ONLY way you would ever hydrolock is if you were to SUBMERGE the filter

just lettin ya know :lol:

#15 ·
From my experience you should make sure that the year of the intake matches the year of your car....i made a mistake before of buying the '03 version of the AEM intake for my '04 matrix because they have the same engine right??? WRONG!!!! they put all new sensors in the '04 so that intake did match and it messed up. I got my intake from www.hopupracing.com, they are really cheap and have fast shiping check it out.
is that how pple get check engine lights?

#16 · (Edited)
these ar all good questions and answers... I've been debating the same type of things.. I'm looking to get a new intake, either SRI or CAI. I have my concerns. I do however, keep thinking that a simple K&N Typhoon might be the way to go to start off and see how that treats my '05 XRS.

http://www.speedyperformanceparts.com/performance/?N=0+1725+4294961915+4294967160+9194

does anyone have any other suggestions to start off with for a noobie to modding? I would really appreciate any advice or experineces... Again I have an '05 XRS

#17 ·
The K&N will provide some gain but not enough for you to really feel it. the only real difference between a SRI and CAI is where the power gain is. if you want more top end power which means from 4 to 6 thousand rpn then go with a CAI. If you want low end power gain gow for the SR, which mean from the time you hit the people to about 4 thousand rpms is wehre u would feel the power can. they both sound amazing, and are will worth it. I would save the 30 or 40 dollars and just get and intake

#18 ·
yeah I'm leaning towards getting a typhoon K&N SRI and then later on adding a Magnaflow cat back exhaust... I still don't quite understand teh difference though between a CAT BACK and an AXLE BACK exhaust... could anyone explain and also which one would seem to compliment an SRI???? just asking in general... thanks guys really learning alot from this forum... does anyone live in TX? I'm looking for a group of Trix owners to get together with down here in TX.

#19 ·
Matrix Monster said:
yeah I'm leaning towards getting a typhoon K&N SRI and then later on adding a Magnaflow cat back exhaust... I still don't quite understand teh difference though between a CAT BACK and an AXLE BACK exhaust... could anyone explain and also which one would seem to compliment an SRI???? just asking in general... thanks guys really learning alot from this forum... does anyone live in TX? I'm looking for a group of Trix owners to get together with down here in TX.
The difference is mainly exhuast pipe size, usually when you go with an after market cat back exhaust you want to upgrade the pipe size bc you want an increase in power and torque, the more air flow out the better sound and better performance, so if you only go with an axle back exhaust have of the system is a different size then the other. so the power gain isnt as great, and the sounds isnt as vibrant. For the best performance i would go with a cat back exhaust and either a SRI or CAI.

Intakes dont really completment exhausts what you want is a good quality intake and a good quality exhaust. trust me go with either a SRI or CAI and a cat back exhaust.

#20 ·
badass! thanks for all of the info guys... I'll be shopping around... I just got the XRS last week... man does it haul a**! I mean I pooed it down into 5th hit the lift and then down into 6th gear! I was doing 120mph like it was a walk in the park! awesome! I can imagin it with an intake and exhaust... I'll get more into it once the warranty is out...

#21 ·
My 2 cents. I have the K&N Short Ram. First of, injen and or anybody else had no dyno charts readily available. 2 All the smack can be talked about cold air or short. Both, have their draw backs. Cold air intakes are longer so the engine works harder at drawing air. Try to drink a coke straight out of the can or use a straw. The longer the intake the harder the engine works at sucking air. You tell me how much faster you can draw air in. Would the temperature make a diference in Cold Air O2 Vs. how much more warm air goes in 4 times faster? Don't be a fool, think about it and use logic. Find proven results. K&N Short Ram has proven chrts, no Check Engine Lights if you follow instructions, easy install, easy maintenance minimal diference. Everybody tell you they are the best to get your money! In the end it's your choice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.