Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 392 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any fellow cigar smokers out there? I'd be interested to talk cigars...what you smoke, where you buy. Hope I'm not the only one....:D

TrailDust

·
Sedan Life
5,115 Posts
im a fan of C.A.O and romeoyjulieta cigars myself....theres a great smoke shop and lounge in my town that sells cigars and tobacco products...they have this great lounge for smoking cigars and watching TV in
im also a member of the annapolis, MD smokeing club lounge, and ill occasionally go down and smoke a nice cigar by the bay

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im a fan of C.A.O and romeoyjulieta cigars myself....theres a great smoke shop and lounge in my town that sells cigars and tobacco products...they have this great lounge for smoking cigars and watching TV in
im also a member of the annapolis, MD smokeing club lounge, and ill occasionally go down and smoke a nice cigar by the bay
I really like the RomeoyJulieta Vintage #5 myself. In fact, that was the first cigar I ever smoked, and from the first puff I was impressed. My tastes tend to run more to the mild side, and my favorite is probably the Macanudo Gold Label. I'd like to try some candelas, but they're almost impossible to get as cigar shops don't usually sell them as singles, nor do the online stores. Have you ever tried them, and if you have, what did you think? Do you usually buy at the smoke shop, or are there online stores you think are good? Do tell....

TrailDust

·
Blue Ribbon FTW!
697 Posts
I've been a cigar smoker for a while now. Right now I am enjoying a Ghurka Turk. http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-GHB&cat=3 I got a really great deal on several different Ghurka styles. They were $27.50 for 10 sticks. I got Turk, Triple Ligero, Double Maduro, and Signature '101' Maduro. I also picked up some Montecristo Classic, $40 for 10 sticks. I only have a small humidor but it is full right now!
This was the first time that I have ordered from Cigars International. Everything was shipped quickly and packed well. The cigars needed a few weeks in the humidor before smoking but everyone of them has been great since.

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've bought from Cigar International before and I always liked them. They sell singles, which I like, but they have never carried any candelas as singles. Like I said in the other post, I'd really like to try some from different brands but don't want to have to buy a box of 25 only to find out I don't like them. If anyone knows of a place either on the web or in the real world that sells candelas as singles I'd love to hear about it. I was going to have a cigar tonight but the fog rolled in big time and it would have killed the smoke...bummer....

TrailDust

·
Former Toyota/ASE Master
1,078 Posts
I used to smoke the hell out of Joya de Nicaraguas, but I gave it up as a regular habit. Sold the humidor and all the cool smoking toys too. I haven't been able to find them in singles around here, but I still buy a couple from my favorite smoke shop when I head back to DC to visit family.

There is a nice place down here on the beach though, maybe now that the weather has dried up and cooled down at night I'll go treat myself to one.

·
Sedan Life
5,115 Posts
ivee never bought online myself, but my dad swears by cigar world mail order catalouges
i just stick to smoke shops or rolling my own myself...im enjoying a macaundo gold label fresh out of my humidor as we speak

·
Blue Ribbon FTW!
697 Posts
Another one to try is Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. They are excellent. Medium to full flavor and very smooth.

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ivee never bought online myself, but my dad swears by cigar world mail order catalouges
i just stick to smoke shops or rolling my own myself...im enjoying a macaundo gold label fresh out of my humidor as we speak
I've bought from Cigars International, Thompson, and the Las Vegas Cigar Company (they custom rolled some flavored cigars as well as a milder blend for me...very cool).

No shit, you roll your own? Mongo need more info. Out of curiosity, where do you get the tobacco...where'd you learn to do the rolling (there's a loaded question ;))? BTW, I'm jealous that you enjoyed your Macanudo while I was skunked and couldn't smoke last night...aaargh....

Hey, Qslim, we've got to get you back in the habit...it's for your own good....:D

TrailDust

·
Sedan Life
5,115 Posts
haha where did i learn to roll my own cigars....
well, ive been known to toke on my share of reefer, and i was taught by my best friend how to roll blunts....i started rolling my own, and then i decided that i would give getting my own tobacco and rolling my cigars a shot for shits and giggles, and its worked out pretty well....i can get all the supplies (and damn good tobacco) from my smoke shop, and i have a nice sturdy piece of cardboard that i use to roll my cigars on...it works out pretty well, although it does take a while to roll a good cigar....
you just have to be patient
they also make rollers designed for rolling perfect cigarillos...i have one of those but i seldom use it

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just picturing in my mind that perfect looking cigar that comes from a major manufacturer. Sounds like your handmade cigars don't require a cutter as there'd be no end cap...cool. I also wondered about lining up the leaves correctly so that the cigar draws properly, but it sound like you've got enough experience to have that nailed down. If I ever rolled my own I think I'd be smoking something the size of a telephone pole as I like large ring sizes and a cool smoke...the larger the better....:thumbsup:

TrailDust (setting aside a Hoyo de Monterrey Excaliber for tonight...yum, yum.)

·
Insert Custom User Title
293 Posts
I'd be at the club enjoying one with a drink, but too much work due in 48 hours.

I usually get an Hoyo de Monterrey or a less expensive Padron. I really like the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligeros, but for $15 for the factory press, I can't justify it unless I've closed a big case.

There's a brand called Diamond Crown which has started sponsoring a number of shops across the country (42 at last count), and if you're a member at one, you're a member at them all. It makes it pretty convenient when I'm traveling.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CAOs are good cigars for a good price. maduros and macanudos are also good. i also had this ashton this one time that i thought was absolutely excellent. but i've only had it once. lol when i was in berlin i tried a real cohiba...nothing special.

and whenever they had it, i'd buy the hoyo de monterrey Excalibur (the one w/ the silver ring. i think it was limited edition?).

that's pretty much it. i used to smoke cigars when i was 17 yrs old. but not anymore. now that i have money, i wouldn't mind starting again :thumbsup:

i'd usually buy my cigars at this place called david's gifts and tobacco. you can also order them online. my dad usually does. he'll go in with a few buddies and buy a box and have them mailed to him. and to keep the cigars nice and fresh, get a cigar box that can be sealed tightly, and just get a damp spoonge and leave it in the box w/ teh cigars, and it should keep it fresh. DO NOT i repeat DO NOT put cigars in the fridge or freezer.

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You just can't go wrong with the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, which was the first cigar I ever smoked. My Dad smoked cigars and pipes when I was a kid and although I liked the smell I never really wanted to try them. Then, about six or seven years ago, a buddy of mine who was a big cigar smoker gave me an Excalibur for my birthday, but he would only give it to me on the condition that I would really smoke it. I figured, what the hell, I'm an adult and I'll give most anything a try, so I smoked it. It was awesome from the first puff! I've been hooked ever since, although I smoke more infrequently (about three or four times a month) than most other cigar smokers.

Macanudo, Rocky Patel, and Ghurka are all good in my book. Not too keen on full-flavored cigars. Anybody have opinions about candelas?

TrailDust

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
I didn't notice this thread existed before! It's offseason for cigars here now (too cold and wet until spring), but it's stock up the humidor season...lots of time to get new cigars and let them rest over the long winter!

As a quick reliable smoke, I'm a huge fan of Partagas Mille Fleurs and the H. Upman Regalias. Very rare to get anything resembling a bad smoke, and with some time away they are like returning to visit an old friend.

I've experimented with many others, and each visit to my local tobacconist always results in a few extras. The CAO Cameroon among the brands available in the US is a winner IMO and is on the mild to medium side, and I also liked the Brazilia..a surprisingly mild maduro. I try to get away from the Cuban thing every time out as there are so many great makers, but for some reason keep coming back. Another cigar I quite enjoyed was the Alec Bradley family blend.

At the top of the heap for me, I have to put the Montecristo #2 and Petit Edmundos, and the Cohiba Maduro 5.

My humidor currently has a few Cohiba Siglo V that have been resting for about 7 years now, as well as 6 Upmann's and a half dozen Davidoff Special R and several less known Frank Correnti Cigars I have yet to try (the only roller of Cuban tobacco outside of Cuba as I have been told...and they are supposed to be pretty good).

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you buy locally, Bob, or do you buy from online companies like Thompson or Cigars International? Got a question of curiosity if you do buy online.

BTW, glad to know you're a fellow cigar smoker.....:smokin:

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
Hey Kev,

Unfortunately we have to buy local as our federal laws forbid any mail or courier of tobacco products. While there are some companies that claim high success rates for delivery, some are caught and I don't need to know I just bought a box for the next Border guard office party...and I'm sure my mail and border crossings would be much more closely scanned if it happened...no need to guarantee I need to lube up and bend down further before flying :D

I actually really like the local experience too. The owner at my shop is always quick to offer up great suggestions when I'm looking for something new and seems to know exactly what to ask to find a good smoke!

Are you online shopping or hitting the local tobacconist?

·
There is no substitute.
7,356 Posts
For quickies I smoke Backwoods Natural... for long smoke I select between Cohibas, Monte Cristo and Romeo Y Julieta ... and glass of single malt scotch or rum.

·
Premium Member
34,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Kev,

Unfortunately we have to buy local as our federal laws forbid any mail or courier of tobacco products. While there are some companies that claim high success rates for delivery, some are caught and I don't need to know I just bought a box for the next Border guard office party...and I'm sure my mail and border crossings would be much more closely scanned if it happened...no need to guarantee I need to lube up and bend down further before flying :D

I actually really like the local experience too. The owner at my shop is always quick to offer up great suggestions when I'm looking for something new and seems to know exactly what to ask to find a good smoke!

Are you online shopping or hitting the local tobacconist?
That's too bad, man! When you cross back into Canada across the border, I wonder if the authorities there search very hard or would even care if they found cigars aboard. Might be worth a try. :D

I mostly buy online when I know what I want, and then go to a local tobacconist when I want to try something new. A lot of times, though, I can get samplers online, and a couple of companies even sell singles! I'd love to try the Iguana Candela made only by Thompson Cigar, which is supposed to be a very mild smoke, but I've heard that line before. Stupid thing is Thompson has never offered the Iguanas in any kind of sampler package. :headbang: Sorry, but I'm not buying a box of 25 only to find I hate the damn things! Anyone out there has Iguanas, I'd be happy to work out a deal with you. :thumbsup:

For quickies I smoke Backwoods Natural... for long smoke I select between Cohibas, Monte Cristo and Romeo Y Julieta ... and glass of single malt scotch or rum.
What kind of Romeo Y Julieta do you smoke? I've pretty much settled on the Vintage #5 and still have about 20 left from my last purchase. What a great cigar!

1 - 20 of 392 Posts