I was wiring up some neons and LED's to a switch the other day when I encountered a problem. I was drawing my positive 12V and ground from the cigarette lighter. I tapped it right at the copper leads that go into the lighter itself. I had everything wired up and I put the key in. I turned on the switch, and everything worked fine. I was thrilled, but then i heard a soft "pop" and all lights went out. They would not turn back on. I checked my connections, and everything seemed fine, except for one mysterious black wire on the back of the cigarette lighter that looked like it had melted. Could this be some kind of protective fillament or something? How can I fix this or get around it. I was thinking of running a wire where the filament had been, hopefully one that wouldnt melt. It would be great if I could get some help from some experienced members here, because I am pretty new to car electronics. Thanks!