Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 year-old T100 runs great (only 87,000 miles) but I'm wondering what might be in the bottom of its gas tank. Should I remove it and flush it out with something or maybe replace it? I'd like to avoid any problems in the furture.

·
Registered
1997 Toyota T100
1,939 Posts
My 15 year-old T100 runs great (only 87,000 miles) but I'm wondering what might be in the bottom of its gas tank. Should I remove it and flush it out with something or maybe replace it? I'd like to avoid any problems in the furture.
From what I understand never having done it myself, that's a messy, cumbersome job. I would think that replacing the fuel filter and making sure you don't run the tank super low you should be good for quite a while Many of the Ts on here have well over 250K and I don't believe many (if any) have had their tanks flushed or replaced (I assume this because I haven;t heard much about it). But if it's something to give you some peace of mind, I would think a good flushing would do it. Just keep in mind it will take a good bit of storage capacity to flush the tank with gas a few times. And don't let it get in your grass:D

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Your truck takes its fuel from the bottom of the tank anyways.

replace your fuel filter and use good gas. If there really is a problem with gunk in the tank, your filter will probably clog up.

·
Registered
2006 Taco
468 Posts
I would not recommend replacing the tank; The tank is expensive and there are no aftermarket parts. I would definitely go with the flush option. However, my truck has 250k on it and has never had the gas tank attended to. I just put a new fuel filter on it last winter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time is the factor I'm concerned with, short trips, low mileage, old gas sitting in the tank for long periods of time. A high mileage vehicle might actually be better off in this respect. All said, I'll just replace the filter more often.
Thanks for the opinion/advice.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
If you're not currently having any problems with it, there is no reason to do anything other than replace the fuel filter more often if you're really worried.

I've had to pull my tanks for cleaning before, but then I wheel the heck out of them.
I now run redundant filters, so when one clogs I switch to the backup.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Your tank is subject to two types of corrosion.

Internal corrosion.
If you own and aircraft where any engine problem can turn you into a dead crispy critter, then you know the standard practice is to keep the gas tank full so water vapor in the air pocket in the gas tank does not condense on the inner wall of the gas tank and cause corrosion as well as introducing water into the gas tank.

In the military they are so concerned about this that they have inert gas systems that fill up the vapor void with nitrogen.

I think this problem is more theoretical for a typical T100 user.

As mentioned before if you are not having problems then don't mess around with it as it is a big job, especially if your tank is like mine without a drain. If you are really concerned then stick to just replacing the fuel filter. You can then cut the fuel filter in half and use a magnet to see if any of the particals are magnetic (corroding gas tank).

With modern gasoline blends, if you buy from reputable gas stations, you should not have probems with sludge in the gasoline.

The other corrosion to worry about is the external corrosion. This one is a real big problem for those folks living in the salted states. The salt free states do not really have this problem. Several T100 owners have had perforated gas tanks from salt and crud buildup on top of the gas tank (where you can not wash it off easily or see it). Easiest way to tell if this could be a problem for you is do you live in a salted state? Do you see any of the typical underbody corrosion that results from salted roads? If not then you will not be affected by this.

I personally would spend my time fixing up other things on my truck than flushing the gas tank or worrying about such.

As others advised, this is one of those fix it when it breaks rather than doing preventive maintenance items as it rarely causes a problem.

·
Registered
1997 Toyota T100
1,939 Posts
If your tank ever does decide to fall apart, you could always replace it with a smaller fuel cell. Small range, but that's not your concern anyway from what I gather. And its small size would allow for cleaning and flushing pretty easily if it ever sits for too long (a few months). Just a thought:D!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts