Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted about what battery to get for my 2015 Corolla LE so I’m going to be replacing it soon but since this is my first time doing so, can someone tell me how to clean the terminals and what exactly to use. I’ve never done this before. I’ve attached a pic. Thank-you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
You can use can of coke if there's corrosion. The auto stores have a wire brush to clean the inside of the terminal.

If all else fails, use baking soda cocktail.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Important to clean cable connections separate from battery terminal.
Disconnect both pos/neg and clean connectors inside and out( until shinny bright)

Clean battery terminals and connectors with battery terminal brush and baking soda to neutralize acid.
Finally clean top of battery with same soda.
Reconnect terminals/tighten.

Treat new battery terminals with corrosion protection ( auto parts store) and periodically clean battery top/terminas so as to not let corrosion build up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That +'tve terminal is showing the sort of corrosion that made me swap from duralast (Autozone) to another brand.

Baking soda can neutralize the acid and then wash it off and anywhere else the soda runs, like the tray under the battery. I hate having to replace the battery connectors because they cant seal up the battery posts.

·
6,178 Posts
1. buy battery terminals cleaning tool
2. buy dielectric grease
3. get hand drill and self tapping screw
4 get a mallet
5. get battery sealant spray

Now:
1. replace battery
2. TAKE APART the positive terminal on cable. ALL of it. As that plate with 2nd 10mm head bolt also corrodes badly.
3. clean that plate and clamp, then lubricate mating surfaces with dielectric grease. Reassemble
4. clean negative clamp and lubricate also
5. set clamps onto battery terminals.
6. gently tap clamps down onto terminals so that they touch the battery top.
7. drill a small hole into the battery terminal, right above the clamp edge, and drive self tapping screw into it, so that it blocks clamp from creeping up on the terminal(they are conical, right?)
8. spray everything over with sealant.
9. BE HAPPY. It will NEVER corrode again. Re spray with sealant every 2 years.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Just to clarify about the baking soda (the correct thing to use), buy a small box at the grocery store and mix it with some water to form a thin paste. You can apply it with a old toothbrush or something. If any of the baking soda gets inside the battery, it will kill the battery, so clean everything before the new battery is set in place (but after old battery is removed) and flush with clean water.

When reinstalling the battery hold-down bar, do not overtighten it, because that can cause the battery case to crack when it gets hot.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
I recently posted about what battery to get for my 2015 Corolla LE so I’m going to be replacing it soon but since this is my first time doing so, can someone tell me how to clean the terminals and what exactly to use. I’ve never done this before. I’ve attached a pic. Thank-you.
This is how I lost my original positive and negative battery terminals. When the battery was replaced, the ring cracked into 2. I am in the process of making a permanent fix to mine, but will not be pretty.

This is salvageable. Just let the baking soda soak for a while. Hopefully the corrosion hasn't damaged the terminal.

My fix will require some wire, butt splices, heat shrink and crimp the new terminal and put heat shrink on the gap to protect the wire. The cable is shorter now and no longer sits in the wire loom. In order for it to go back into the loom, I will add wire. Just trying to figure out the outer diameter of the positive cable and the small gauge blue wire.

I measured this wire and it 6 gauge. But can someone help me out and confirm? The positive cable is 1 or 2 gauge.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
This might help - AWG table of sizes
Thanks. Though, based on my measurements and the chart you posted, then I am looking at 0 gauge. Does that sound right? Can you measure yours to verify?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. Though, based on my measurements and the chart you posted, then I am looking at 0 gauge. Does that sound right? Can you measure yours to verify?
Note that that wire gauge chart is giving you the diameter of the copper conductor only (i.e. without insulation). Insulation thickness can vary based on cable type / manufacturer, but the actual conductor diameter should always be fairly close to the chart. Also note that most wires in cars are stranded wire for flexibility: this can cause some change in the measured diameter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
use a shop vacuum and metal wire brush to clean it. then use marine or axle grease to cover the terminals or stuff called battery terminal spray.

·
Registered
649 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Walmart sells a battery acid cleaner and treatment spray pretty inexpensively. The battery cleaner is nice too in that it has acid detector, although I've heard a homemade solution of baking soda also works. Both are less than $5.

NOCO Battery Cleaner:

NOCO Battery Terminal Spray:
Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate, which when mixed with water is an alkaline substance that neutralizes acid. Sodium Bicarbonate is also the main active ingredient in NOCO Battery Cleaner (along with propellant chemicals found in spray cans).

I prefer using baking soda mixed with water, and an old toothbrush, because I get better control over where it goes compared to a spray can. Need to make absolutely sure that no battery cleaner gets near the water fill holes or inside the battery, or it will neutralize the acid inside the battery and degrade the chemical reaction that allows a battery to hold a charge.

After cleaning the terminals and external battery case, rinse it off completely with lots of water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts