Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any special methods for cleaning out the engine compartment. Mine is one week old, but kind of dusty inside, as we had high winds here on the Plains last week.

Do you just pop the hood at the car wash and spray her down? Or do you take another approach to cleaning up the engine compartment?

I'd just like to knock the dust off and polish everything back up.

Thanks,

Count

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
if mine is just dusty, I will just hose it off real fast. then drive around the block to get the water off and leave it run for a few mins to dry. Then just whipe it down with something like tire cleaner or something. If its really dirty. I use wheel cleaner or tire cleaner on it. cleans it off nicely

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use a pressure washer, Meguiar's Safe D-Greaser, and Meguiar's Hyper Dressing in order to dress the engine. I never use a normal hose because it shoots out too much water, but if you do it carefully you can use it. Don't spray on anything for too long, keep your pressure washer or hose moving. I've never covered anything and have had great luck, but if you do cover anything, make sure you keep the electricals dry.

My truck:
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14432&d=1130217404

My brother's truck:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I am not to into using alot of dressing on the motor stuff. Alot of times it can turn your hoses and other rubber parts brown over time then if you dont have derssing on it 24/7 it will look even worse

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
you don't need to cover the alternator. when i get around to cleaning mine, it'll just be with a hose, unless i'm at a carwash, in which case i'll use the pressure washer at a small distance (3' or so away from things). the first time i popped the hood when i was looking at tacos, i was very pleased at how uncluttered the engine bay is. looks to me like it'll be fairly easy to keep clean.

-Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.