Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week I got an estimate for getting my injectors cleaned at MIDAS here in Honduras (I guess they also do that). Well is only about US$40. They say that they take them off the engine and then they machine cleaned them.

My car just turned 100k miles and I was wondering if it would be a good thing to do. I have a upcoming oil change due and would like to get both things done.

They told me at a different shop that i needed to get my injectors cleaned. I really think they just wanted to make some extra cash at my expense since i have not noticed anything wrong with the engine.

So how often should the injectors get cleanned? or what are the simptoms that I should look for?

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
497 Posts
So how often should the injectors get cleanned? or what are the simptoms that I should look for?
I would like to know as well, cause I'm tempted to let Wal-Mart do it next time I have my tires balanced & rotated (lifetime B&R is a beautiful thing:lol: ). My gas mileage has kinda gone downhill by 1 or 2 mpg since i got my car 2 years ago...

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,529 Posts
No. The cleaner at the dealer comes in a pressurized can and they run it through the injectors by disconnecting the fuel line at the filter and running the can through there. It creates all sorts of smoke upon startup and if you don't do it outside or in a garage with a vaccuum system for the exhaust, it could get ugly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well ... if you used the fuel injector cleaner regularly... like every 5k miles ... it should be fine...

if you don't notice any problems it isn't going to kill you.
If the injectors are dirty you get lower gas mileage ... dirty burning fuel ... maybe some hesitation in the engine and rougher idle ... for 3 bucks you could just try and put some injector cleaner in your tank ... right before a fill up ... and see if you feel any difference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chris Corolla S said:
Then use carb cleaner.
Just open that bitch up and spray it in there:D
(I don't know about cleaning the jets though)
wut if i've done this to an injection system... lol i really did this and stupidly sprayed the poo into my air filter box and installed the filter and just hit the road.... now my engine heck is on!! and i added one of those pts jet fuels (injector carb cleaners) and filled the gas tank up with v power by shell.... but the car is still shaky and jumpy when starting the movement!! what should i do? should i just wait for the PTS thing to clean it up in few days or i must do sumthin else? it has been about 24 hours since i've done this!! so... i dont know... im lost and don wana get charged 100 bucks...:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
997 Posts
The Wolf said:
I would like to know as well, cause I'm tempted to let Wal-Mart do it next time I have my tires balanced & rotated (lifetime B&R is a beautiful thing:lol: ). My gas mileage has kinda gone downhill by 1 or 2 mpg since i got my car 2 years ago...
I wouldn't let Walmart check my tire pressure let alone trust them to clean my injectors..95% of the people that work there are just part time after school kids..I have heard many horror stories about all of the things they "forgot" to do to cars..Also watch them through the waiting room window someday :ugh3: ..One time they were playing football with this guys oil filter, another got new tires down the easy way by throwing them off of a 20 foot loft hitting cars in the bays(why do you suppose their prices are so cheap?--They pay super low wages) and you hardy ever see the same person working there...I thought the only complete way to clean injectors was to take them off and ultra-sound them like they do to jewelry to remove the dirt :confused: ....Radd Guy...

________________________________________________________________________________
"Keep knockin on the Devils door and one of these days someones gonna answer you"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Raddman said:
I thought the only complete way to clean injectors was to take them off and ultra-sound them like they do to jewelry to remove the dirt :confused: ....Radd Guy...
It is, There are lillte filter baskets that have to be replaced and putting some cleaner in the fuel system definatly won't do that.

Of course the one up is getting your injectors flow-matched, Just get twice the number of injectors you need, Get them all flowed and cleaned, Then install the ones that match each other closest in flow ;) 1% rocks.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus ES 330
143 Posts
I'd consider using Chevron with Techron complete synthetic fuel system cleaner along with a couple tank fulls of high octane gas. :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.