Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions please? I can't get this thing clean. It looks fine until I'm facing the sun, then all the fog and streaks show up.

I made the fatal mistake of using Windex with ammonia and learned it melts the sensor dots behind the rearview mirror. But that was only a small area of the windshield. Lesson learned.

However, the entire windshield inside will not come clean no matter what. I've tried ArmorAll wipes, ArmorAll spray, non-ammona Windex, all with paper towels so there is no laundry detergent residue on our rags.

No matter what, the inside of the windshield stays foggy or streaked. It's driving me nuts. I do not want to use a glass wax, at least until I get rid of the stuff that refuses to come off. Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've found that a film forms on the inside of the windshield, which I believe comes from residue from traffic exhaust coming in through the defroster vents. Accumulates over time, mostly noticeable with direct sunlight on the glass.

Here's what works 100% for me. A felt eraser, like used on chalkboards. Should be new/clean. Make sure it's a "felt" eraser. Wipe like you would a chalk board, ideally in the sunlight so you can see the effect. Here's the one I use:

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
573 Posts
1st, fully cover your dashboard, then I suggest using the "Invisible Glass" auto glass cleaner (safe to use on tinted windows too) specifically the hand-trigger bottle (Not the aerosol bottle) with a clean towel (not sure if microfiber towel will work better or not...), wear a glove to avoid accidental smudge of your hand/finger prints on the windshield while cleaning...
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Once you put Amorall on it, you may be in for a very tough time. Regular Amorall is for plastic, not glass (and not for clear plastic because it is greasy). Also, Amorall doesn't really clean plastic, it lubricates it with oils. Maybe you used some other Amorall product meant for glass.

I only thing I can think of to try is a vinegar and water solution, but since that is acidic, be careful. And don't use wine vinegar. You may need to take it to a professional detailer.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
To clean oily residue, I'd suggest rubbing alcohol on a new sponge (not the kind that has soap pre-embedded in it.) But test on a small part of the dash plastic first.
He wants to clean his windshield, not the plastic dash. He said he put Amorall on the windshield.

·
Avalon Owner
183 Posts
Be sure that any rags or towels that you are using haven't been washed or dried with any fabric softeners.

I've been using Invisible Glass and it seems to work quite nicely.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,115 Posts
My process of cleaning a front window:
  • Invisible Glass x 1
  • Microfiber Towel x A LOT
  • Wet wipe
  • Wet wipe
  • Dry wipe
  • Dry wipe
  • Wet wipe
  • Dry wipe
  • Wet wipe
  • Dry wipe
  • Dry wipe
  • Repeat til clean
  • Never touch the window again
I last cleaned my front and rear window in... 2013ish and have done my best to never touch it. I clean my side windows when I do my car washes.
  • Wet wipe
  • Wet wipe
  • Dry wipe
  • Wet wipe
  • Dry wipe
  • Dry wipe
  • Repeat til clean

·
6,437 Posts
Denaturated alcohol. Just check first how dash responds ot it. Won't hurt to cover.
Get one of them swiveling microfiber windshield cleaning gizmos. Allows you to reach anywhere on WS without contorting your arms. Keep it inside, run it on WS ever so often.
Also, you cabin filter apparently is not doing its job. It should block most of particulate.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd
819 Posts
What works for me is:

1 - Using a terry cloth towel and plain water wipe down all window interiors.

2 - Using multiple clean cotton rags (old white undershirts work really well) or good quality clean micro-fiber rags apply Invisible Glass (spray bottle, not aerosol) directly to the windows and wipe clean.

I find the terry cloth really 'cuts through the crud' better than anything else. The Invisble Glass then cleans up what left.

Do not use new microfiber cloths without washing them. They have manufacturing residue in/on them that will cause streaking.

·
Registered
2016 Highlander XLE
52 Posts
Subliminal message......Invisible Glass is your friend...

·
2019 Le Plus
103 Posts
I learned how to clean glass from my Grandfather, who owned a jewelry store with glass display cases that always needed cleaning.

He used dilute vinegar (8 parts water to 1 part vinegar along with a few drops of dishsoap) and used crumpled up newspaper (black print, no color) to wipe the glass clean, it works great give it a try.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's my understanding that most of the film on the windshield comes not from road crap getting past the cabin filter, but from off-gassing of the upholstery and plastics in the cabin, particularly when it is heated up real good in the summer sun. Never use any liquids on mine; just the microfiber cover on the special extendable windshield cleaner tool.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Once you put Amorall on it, you may be in for a very tough time. Regular Amorall is for plastic, not glass (and not for clear plastic because it is greasy). Also, Amorall doesn't really clean plastic, it lubricates it with oils. Maybe you used some other Amorall product meant for glass.

I only thing I can think of to try is a vinegar and water solution, but since that is acidic, be careful. And don't use wine vinegar. You may need to take it to a professional detailer.

I used ArmorAll window cleaner, not the stuff for plastic. Thank you for your concern, though!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great input already. Thanks! I will try the white vinegar and if that doesn't work, the Invisible Glass.

This is definitely caused by the outgassing from plastics in the car. With each new car, the outgassing is even worse. :mad:

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,157 Posts
FWIW....I now use this.. Windshield wonder (telebrands.com)..Has 2 pc 16" handle with pivoting head. 2 microfiber cleaning covers (attach to head) Small spray btl. Mfg said, just use plain water , I'm thinking, huh? I don't clean in direct sunlite, but in slightly shaded area where I can see film/streaks on glass. I clean up/down..1 time, then back & forth one time. Sometimes have to do just abit more. I use distilled water, never tried plain tap water. I got it a WMart, but don't recall price. Was in the "As seen on TV"display with other stuff.

Still amazed, just water & micro cloth clean as well as it does. The pivoting handle makes it a lot easier, especially inside front windshield, not a lot of stretching & straining. I still use Invisible glass on outside when glass gets really dirty..road grime/bugs etc. Anyhow, just another way of cleaning. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am pretty particular when it comes to detailing, but not obsessed. I have found water with just a few drops of dish detergent and some paper towel is enough to displace the residue that causes streaks by wiping them wet. Then dry with a microfiber towel. Any streaks that you missed can usually be removed with another dry microfiber. The dry wipe is probably the most important step in this process. Just be sure you have clean microfiber. I don’t wash mine with anything other than more microfiber towels in dye/perfume free detergent and I air dry them.

I actually presoak mine before they go in the wash in my wash bucket with a little detergent.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts