Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys i want to clean my throttle body because my car rpms are dropping the past two or three weeks and it tries to stall when I'm stopped at lights or parked i have use fuel system cleaner twice in the past few weeks but it has made no difference should i clean the throttle body and what is the best cleaner for it that is safe for the sensors..and whats the proper way to do it...its a Irish car Toyota corolla saloon 05 1.4...42000 miles on it....is it safe to get the spray inside behind the flap and when your spraying the cleaner and the dirt is running off what if it run down into the engine will it kill the engine on me i don't want to mess the car up....:confused:

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
No, the spray will not mess the engine up. Make sure you get "fuel injection safe" throttle body cleaner. I would spray it liberally on an old toothbrush and lightly clean the throttle body bore, around where the blade contacts the bore when it's closed. Clean those deposits out and wipe with a rag. Any residual spray will get quickly burned off by the engine, no harm.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply jason i went out to get some spray and all they have is STP carb cleaner i tryed a few places same stuff it dosent say its safe for sensors or injectors and it says to leave the engine running when spraying it which i dont really want to do in case the engine light comes on and i cant get it off..do you think i should use the stp and leave the engine on or off..thanks

·
'11 Camry
2001 Camry
1,370 Posts
If the STP Carburator Cleaner does not specifically say that it's safe for oxygen sensors, I wouldn't use it. There's got to be some "sensor safe" cleaner available where you live. 95% of the cars on the road have modern fuel injection systems with oxygen sensors. At the worst, you may have to consult your nearest Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply jason....will do that i will drop up to toyota tomorrow and get the proper spray off them the local car shops just sell STP were i live when i get the spray should i do it with the engine off or on........

·
Registered
244 Posts
thanks for the reply jason....will do that i will drop up to toyota tomorrow and get the proper spray off them the local car shops just sell STP were i live when i get the spray should i do it with the engine off or on........
Clean it real good with the engine off. hold the throttle plate open so u can clean the back of the plate real good. u can put a toolbox on the gas pedal or a heavy book to hold the throttle open.

·
Registered
190 Posts
am i just old fashioned??? i still like taking the tb off and cleaning it off the car...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts