Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been raining down here for the last week and my passenger side headlight has condensation (foggint) in it. This is about the 3rd time that this has happened and I'm pretty pissed about it. :disappoin Maybe a I have a leak somewhere but I can't find it. The driver's side is perfect, btw. Should I redo the clear corner mod on this light? It has a bunch of sealant on it already and I don't know if it'll come apart again. Has anyone re-done their clear corner or black headligh mod with success? Thx.

·
Heart Art
1,355 Posts
i've ripped mine open a second time, there was no problem. i had to pick some of the silicone off that i put on, but no big deal, it comes off like rubber cement. and your condinsation is definitely from a bad seal. if you don't have to take them back apart for any other reason, i'd try just going around the bad light with silicone again and make sure it's dry before you put the light back on.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I have applied sealant around the housing 2x now but still get the fogging. I'm going to try to open it up and do a proper reseal. BTW, I used the clear RTV silicone from Lowes.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Is the rubber gasket around the headlight harness installed properly?

If I were you I would put the headlight in the oven for about 8 minutes, then clamp the edges together with some rubber footed clamps. This might seal up your leak. Then Strip off all of your old sealant and use some new stuff. Black RTV silicone sealant from Autozone.

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
I used GE Silicone II for mine and haven't had an issue. Of course, I live in AZ and it doesn't rain here...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pb, is the black RTV different from the clear? I used your clamp technique when initially doing this mod. I like your idea of heating up the housing and then clamping around to close off the leak. Did you put some silicone between the two halves?

The headlight gasket is secure so it must be a leak around the perimeter.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I'm not sure. I just always use black, so I can easily see where it's applied, and if I missed any spots. Don't mix any silicone with the OEM adhesive. They're 2 different kinds of sealant. Just use the silicone on the outside of the joint. Be sure to seal all around those little "clips" and stuff that helps keep the 2 halves together.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed the light and noticed there was about 1 tablespoon of water inside. :eek: How in the world did it get in there??? I' going to try to take it all apart. Sigh...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts