Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that the clicking in the steering was more common on newer Camrys. But lately my 2001 Camry (76K miles) click when I steer. It clicks just once when I change direction. I found the source of the problem but no one sell just this joint. I can feel a light pop though the steering wheel too. It only clicks when there no load on the steering, mostly when the wheel is straight ahead.

The yellow arrow shows the bolt I tighten. The red arrow shows the joint that’s causing the problem. I have hammer it, lube it, and grease it but it still click. I can feel the joint shift when it pops.

I searched all over the net for days and found that the only way to fix it is to replace it. I don’t might replacing the joint but the dealer only sells the entire steering intermediate shaft assemblies for $355. Others had luck with Jug-a-Lube or stuff like that. Have anyone have a similar problem? Any other cheap fix? (less than a $100)

Also, I never use weight on the outside of my wheels, a little shake on the highway never bothered me. But can this vibration cause this joint to wear fast? Because my Grandmother's 2002 Camry still steers smoothly even with 157K miles on it.

Note: All wheel bearings, ball joints, strut mount, steering rack bushing, tie rods, ect. is good.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
If that joint has any detectable free-play in it or binding, it should be REPLACED! It is your connection to where you go and you don't want it to fail!

If someone recommends WD40 or some other solvent type lubrication, DON'T do it! It'll just breakdown the remaining grease shortly there after as it is NOT meant for long term service.

I'd be tempted to pull one from the u-pull it. Not from an obviously damaged car like a frontal impact, (nose, wheels, fenders ect.).

Did you say you hammered on it? :ugh3:

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you say you hammered on it? :ugh3:
Yea, I took a 10" extension and hammer to tap the end caps of the u-joint, I really don't know what that would do. I figure it's similar to a drive shaft u-joint with needle bearing :dunno:. Now I'm trying to pack grease into it to see if it helps.

I just don't know why it went bad so early.

·
hx35 turbo camry
1994 camry v6 3.0l
648 Posts
i had that problem... mine seized on one axis... solution: replace it... mine was from a junkyard... the dealer charged me 300$ ... i dont go to stealer anymore :)

why it went bad so early? do you wash your engine bay with degreaser? it could have washed the grease off it and made it fail early... my 0.2 cents

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
You're right, the 02 and latter have a couple of different TSB on a steering pop. But the earlier ones were not as proned to that. The fix is anywhere from a grease kit to replacing the shaft. We have done both and sometimes both to the same car.

As far as replacing it, I'd go new, but that is just me. But it would also be determined on how the car was, budget, and how long I intended to keep the car. It sounds like some of you have had good luck with a salvage yard on the piece. DOn't know if I would be so brave.

IF you want, you can shoot me your VIN and I can give you a quote. I do offer TN members 30% off MSRP plus actual shipping costs. I don't over inflate shipping costs or use a dollar or percentage base to make up the difference either.

I am just shooting this information out to the TN members as an alternative source to get Genuine Toyota OEM parts at a reasonable price.

If any of you have any questions, even if they are not parts related, don't hesitate to contact me. I am in the forums just about every day.

·
The Tri-Camry Family
2001 Toyota Camry
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an update for anyone. I replace the joint with a good used on from a 98 Camry (the four rubber seal was in perfect shape) Now my steering is tighter than before. I thought that it was normal for my Camry to float around on the highway. But $20 later and 2 hours of work, it's much better.

The blue paint dosen't hurt either. As a note, the Japan and US built Camrys use two different style steering shafts.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Yeah my 97 likes to float on the highway and it pops in parking lots, mostly when parking (i.e. reversing and turning the wheel lock to lock).

My new 94 likes to go ALLLLLL over the road at higher speeds. On a straight road, going 45 mph i let go of the steering wheel and it turns itself. Not like an alignment pull though...

it just turns to one direction maybe an inch, then back the other way, as if it's fidgeting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts