Toyota Nation Forum banner

Click sound from under the hood..won't start

35K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Tommy 
#1 ·
this problem started yesterday. i drove my car to work and when i left (about 13 hours later) when i went to start the car all the panel lights started to kind of flutter (blink on and off continuously) and a clicking noise came frum under the hood and the car wouldn't start. Then i put my key into the "on" position sat there for a while and then went to start the car. it took about 5-10 secs to start the car, all the while the panel lights are flashing again but very dim. THEN this morning same thing happened. But this time as i was backing out of the driveway, the light under the check engine light (its orange and has a picture of the car with lines coming from the back lights...) well that light and the battery light start flashing. I turned off my radio and it still was flashing and then i turned off my A/C (which was on high) and the flashing stopped. So basically when the a/c was on the lights flashed. So after i drive a couple of mins without the a/c i decide to turn the ac back on and no lights flashed...SO can ne one tell me wat's wrong?? i know this is long but i had to fully describe it...hope it's descriptive enough.

#7 ·
Dead battery. Charge it; if it is serviceable, check it's fluid level. If it dies again run to an autozone type store and have them check the ALT.

(and make sure you stop leaving the lights/stereo on when you don't have the car running, or that you drive it one day in 3 to keep it charged LoL!)

#8 ·
if its not the battery (get a boost and see) then its your starter motor sticking, give it a few hits from a hammer handle then it should start, if that works it means your starter will need replacing as the coils in the motor are shorting together

#11 ·
I had the same problem about a month ago.

I had a year old battery, but the alternator was dying. Car wouldnt start, got a jump, started right up. but then it died again after the car was off. So i pulled the alternator, had it tested, it was dead

the stress from the alternator not charging killed the battery, so i had to buy a new battery and alternator to fix the problem. Like everyone has said, get the alternator checked, then check the starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.