Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue where my climate control does not let me change which vents are used. I have been advised by a shop that it is the climate control in the dash (with the fan/temp/source selector). Manager said it would be 2 weeks til he got the part, then it would be a $400 fix.

I have found the part on ebay and I'm willing to do the work, but can't find a DIY. All i can find is bulb replacement. Has anyone got any info on where to start and how big a job this is?

·
Speedkar99 on YouTube
2003 Camry
1,892 Posts
If you have the repair manual for the car, it should be detailed in the Air Conditioning section.

Its doesn't look hard, probably a couple hours of work, as the lower dash and center console need to be removed to access the climate control.

Here's what the climate control from an ES300 looks like. It would be similar if you had the auto-climate control:

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
You might want to get the factory service manual, so that you have some idea as to what is necessary to repair this problem.

If you go to the following link, you can get a temporary download subscription and the necessary service manual sections.:

http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/resources/owners-manuals

Your description sounds like the problem might involve the air outlet servomotor. The factory service manual has an AC section which gives some details as to how to replace this item. ... and how to test the existing servomotor. ... doesn't look too complicated.

You probably want to check basic wire connections and any other obvious conditions or problems.

While your subscription is active, you should be able to download the entire service manual for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While your subscription is active, you should be able to download the entire service manual for your vehicle.
All I am finding is sections of the owner's/operator's manual. Can you point me in the right direction for the service manual? Also, I tried to create a profile, but it kept saying "operation failed" even though I had all the * marked fields complete.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
I think what you are looking for is called the Air Outlet Servomotor. It controls the different air outlet positions. You can see it in the post above by speedkar9.

Try using the forum search box ... to right on main page ... this problem has come up before. Also, you can find more information on page AC-65 of the factory service manual ... Air Conditioning section.

Basically, the servomotor is located under the dash, to the right of the driver's foot-space. You should be able to get to it without too much disassembly, as I recall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts