Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Corolla AE110 and after adding my new ADV38 HU which has red lights, I felt compelled to change the entire ugly green interior of my car to red with some orange for contrast.
I have completed the dash board and AC vent control panel as those were pretty easy. Now the problem lies with the clock, cigarette lighter and ignition switch, these green lights need changing as well but I do not know where to start and have found no one in this forum to explain it at all.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 240K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
692 Posts
Cig lighter bulb isn't that hard to change. You have to take it apart a little but it's not hard. Same with the ash tray light if you haven't changed that yet. It's a real small one I think.

I don't think the ignition light is hard to change either. I want to say that you just need to remove the bottom cover for the steering thingy. I want to say it's described in the Haynes manual.

Now the clock is a different story. It's not lit up by one LED or bulb. Each segment has it's own LED. No easy way to change that, you'd have to replace the whole clock which might be hard to find one that fits properly. Does anyone know if the S models have red clocks? One thing you can do is find a blank and remove the clock all together. I was thinking of taking my clock apart and seeing what might be done (change LEDs or tinted lens to change the color) but the car is no more. If I had more time at the auction yard I would have pulled it out and installed the blank I still had. dangit

Gil

·
Registered
2002 Prizm
132 Posts
first off... bulb is 74
second: the cigarette light bulb is not changeable.... i changed it.... but only because i took an led bulb.... and connected the connectors straight to the connecting wire.... the bulb is permanent... i just broke it off.
third... ash tray is simple, just pop out the connector and you got it.

hope i helped.

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,446 Posts
first off... bulb is 74
second: the cigarette light bulb is not changeable.... i changed it.... but only because i took an led bulb.... and connected the connectors straight to the connecting wire.... the bulb is permanent... i just broke it off.

hope i helped.
And the clock is its own VFD. I think all Corollas share the same clock, even the S.

For extra kick, rip the clock out, mount a ScanGauge there, and set its backlight color to match. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

hope i helped.
Cigarette light is indeed changeable, but this bulb is a bit different to the other small ones used in dash, however I put the ash try light through the hole left when i took out the cigarette light housing and left out ash try light because the clear plastic housing which is suppose to carry light in ash try is not the right fit(it doesn't fit in the right place to emit light through the hole in top back of ash tray).
So I am 1/2 way finished.

All i need now is clock,
I will take the plunge and pry open my clock enclosure and swap the led display for a red one.
This is where my first year UWI electronics course comes in handy, i hope.
http://www.sunledusa.com sells them but i can get one from local shop.

Thanks prizmrolla

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the clock is its own VFD. I think all Corollas share the same clock, even the S.

For extra kick, rip the clock out, mount a ScanGauge there, and set its backlight color to match. :D

If you loan me $150.00 or so for the scanguage. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts