Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Flagrant Toyota Noob
2009 Corolla S
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,
Slightly edited from initial greeting in other forum - it was recommended I (re-)post my more technical queries here. Sooo...
I just bought a 2009 Corolla S with 5,300 miles on it earlier today. Only drove it maybe 50 miles so far (I typically drive 70-80 miles a day, thus the Corolla, for the hopefully good MPG! ;-)). So far, so good!

My only complaint: Dealer didn't include a manual in glove box! :headbang: Soooo, can anyone tell me the magic incantation to set the dash clock? It seems to be just about 1 hour behind (DST got it, I guess!). I'm a guy that can usually program friends / neighbors VCR's/ DVR's, etc; etc; without manuals, but the in dash clock on my new gem threw me! I'm sure I'll be properly humbled when I learn the secret from the Illuminati! :help: Who will share the secret with me, a mere noob, a fresh pawn on TN.

Also: If I'm reading things correctly (on Stant site), Stant doesn't make a locking gas cap for the 2009 Corolla, is this true? Is there any other Stant cap that 'accidentally' works (that maybe Stant hasn't figured out yet!) - like from a 2008 Accord or something?!

On another note: What's a great oil filter I can use? I prefer to do my own minor (read: "shade tree"!) maintenance, I already have the Mobil 1 ready to go in later this week (out with the dino oil!). Apparently Mobil doesn't make (or brand) a filter for this car. I imagine Fram & others do.

Thanks for any & all assistance, and I'm glad to be here. I'll TRY not to be a colossal PITA!

Thanks all,

--Pete

·
CRT > LCD
333 Posts
To set the clock:

Have your key in ACC. Have the clock displayed on your dash. Press and hold the button till the hour flashes. Release and press the same button as needed to set your Hour. Don't touch anything for 10 seconds and it will switch from the hours to the minutes, repeat the set the minutes. Wait another 10 seconds or so and it'll finalize your settings.

As for the locking gas caps, I dont believe there are any manufacturers that make locking gas caps for the 2009 corolla because the latch is only openable from the inside. Kind of eliminates the need for a locking gas cap since it'd be a little redundant. With that said though, Im sure the size is universal with comparable sized vehicles.

Hope that helps!

·
Flagrant Toyota Noob
2009 Corolla S
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To set the clock:

Have your key in ACC. Have the clock displayed on your dash. Press and hold the button till the hour flashes. Release and press the same button as needed to set your Hour. Don't touch anything for 10 seconds and it will switch from the hours to the minutes, repeat the set the minutes. Wait another 10 seconds or so and it'll finalize your settings.
!
Great!!! Thanks a lot, Zenith. I guess I 'almost' figured it out. I did 'press and hold' but engine was running, and maybe I didn't hold in long enough. I'll print and follow your instructions later when I get to my car later this evening (I'm at work at the moment).

I appreciate the step-by-step!

As for the locking gas caps, I dont believe there are any manufacturers that make locking gas caps for the 2009 corolla because the latch is only openable from the inside. Kind of eliminates the need for a locking gas cap since it'd be a little redundant. With that said though, Im sure the size is universal with comparable sized vehicles.

Hope that helps
It most certainly does! I hadn't even noticed the latching flap/cover thing, really. On my old beater Taurus, it was (supposed to be) similar, but the cabin release lever had somehow disconnected from the mechanism. Instead, you simply pried it open with a key (such as for your locking gas cap because the latch didn't actually latch anymore). Amazing what assumptions and bad habits you can fall into over the course of time.

Your responses are most appreciated! Thanks!

--Pete

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
If it's a new car, the dealer should have provided you with the manual. Contact the sales rep you purchased through and they should be able to resolve it.

·
TN user
388 Posts
Greetings All,
Slightly edited from initial greeting in other forum - it was recommended I (re-)post my more technical queries here. Sooo...
I just bought a 2009 Corolla S with 5,300 miles on it earlier today. Only drove it maybe 50 miles so far (I typically drive 70-80 miles a day, thus the Corolla, for the hopefully good MPG! ;-)). So far, so good!

My only complaint: Dealer didn't include a manual in glove box! :headbang: Soooo, can anyone tell me the magic incantation to set the dash clock? It seems to be just about 1 hour behind (DST got it, I guess!). I'm a guy that can usually program friends / neighbors VCR's/ DVR's, etc; etc; without manuals, but the in dash clock on my new gem threw me! I'm sure I'll be properly humbled when I learn the secret from the Illuminati! :help: Who will share the secret with me, a mere noob, a fresh pawn on TN.

Also: If I'm reading things correctly (on Stant site), Stant doesn't make a locking gas cap for the 2009 Corolla, is this true? Is there any other Stant cap that 'accidentally' works (that maybe Stant hasn't figured out yet!) - like from a 2008 Accord or something?!

On another note: What's a great oil filter I can use? I prefer to do my own minor (read: "shade tree"!) maintenance, I already have the Mobil 1 ready to go in later this week (out with the dino oil!). Apparently Mobil doesn't make (or brand) a filter for this car. I imagine Fram & others do.

Thanks for any & all assistance, and I'm glad to be here. I'll TRY not to be a colossal PITA!

Thanks all,

--Pete

·
TN user
388 Posts
Just my 2cents...congrats on the new car!

I would recommend staying with the oem Toyota oil filter...Fram is Honeywell and probably at the bottom of the list. I forgot who, but the are only a few companies making filters...ie: Bosch is not really Bosch etc. All these companies just put their names on the filters and other parts...You would not believe it! These 2009 filters are canister type with no metal can. Stay with the OEM and change often! These are not the days where you can trust the brand name for the most part!. Another good brand is WIX which is sold by NAPA...JMHO no one really knows what other junk is out there yet! FRAM USED to be good stuff but that was years ago!

Here is a link on changing the filter...looks good to me
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244334

There is a thread on oil filters...use the search. People have been buying them by the case on Ebay...the real thing. One reason they are $$ cheap is that it is just the element you are changing, not like the old can type!

Even if there were a locking gas cap, it would probably be a bad idea...The crooks (dumb) have been drilling thru the gas tank and draining it. Luckily I have a garage in my house. You really do not want to have to replace the tank...It is probably a fortune!

Good Luck and welcome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts