Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gent's. I have successfully replaced my clock spring and everything looks like it's in good working order. The horn sounds, the airbag light went out, and the cruise control light came on. Well, that's another thing I can say I can do. I don't see how a shop can charge $600.00 for this. It didn't take me long and I'm slow. I wouldn'tsay that's an hour worth of labor if your moving really fast and you know what you are doing, but I was very careful.

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,020 Posts
Most of the cost comes from OEM part and the overhead shop fees. A lot goes into running a shop...but a lot of things that most people go for the shop can be done with enough research, tools, and patients (along with cost-saving!). Also part of the high cost can come down to the risk involved such as say someone does it incorrectly and accidentally discharges the airbag which can be a pricey fix and possible injury.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, thought about all of that. I did my research and watched enough youtube videos and took the advice from guys here. I was very careful with the airbag. I waited 30mins. after taking off the negative cable from the battery. There's no real labor involved. I've never taken a steering wheel off of car before and was unsure of doing that, but I pulled it off. I still can't see the cost they want to replace this. I guess because I try to do everything I can myself to save spending money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts