Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent "clunk" noise that appears to be coming from up in the rear roof area when I go a gentle bump (like going over uneven pavement pulling into driveway). It's almost as if there is a large ball bearing up there that rolls around and clunks every once in a while. I've tried opening/closing the sun roof and have bounced up and down on the rear of the vehicle to try to replicate... but no luck.. It's almost as if something hits the roof when going over a bump... but there's nothing there that hit the roof... ARG!!!! Anybody else run into the mysterious roof "clunk"?

·
Registered
11 Sequoia Platinum
86 Posts
There is a TSB to address the issue of a clunk noise from the sunroof area when driving over uneven surfaces such a pulling into our out of a driveway. In no way does it sound like a ball bearing rolling around so this may or may not apply to your vehicle. The TSB involves installing shims in between spot welds to the sunroof reinforcement structure. Bring your vehicle in to your local dealership and refer to TSB -0151013. This repair is covered by the basic 3/36 warranty

J

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK found the TSB (https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nxra5q8gdmpe0o/T-SB-0151-13 SUnroof.pdf)... This is the problem I'm having... I should have described like some in the forums... an angry squirrel dropping acorns on the roof as I pull into the driveway.

What sucks is that the repair is 4.5 hours per the TSB (4.2 to R&R the moon roof and 0.3 to install the shims). DAMN!!!!... And I'm well out of warranty at 80K... that's going to be a $500+ repair.

Also, many folks report only limited success with the repair. Some have had to take the vehicle back multiple times only to have the clunk return again and again.

The most recent post I found was from May... has anyone had this repair done recently? How much did it cost and did it work?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yup... started doing it over the last couple of months... mileage is in the mid 80's ... Seems to be getting worse...

I will query the local service mgr

#1 Are you familiar with the issue
#2 How many times have you done this repair
#3 How successful have you been at the repair (how many repeat treatments required)
#4 Will you warranty the repair??? (This is the big one... If I have to pay, I only want to pay once)
#5 Have you had any moon roof issues after the repair (leaks, alignment issues, malfunctions, etc)
#6 Can you assign a technician who is VERY familiar with the repair

·
Registered
11 Sequoia Platinum
86 Posts
I have performed this repair on several Camry's years ago when the '12s were newly released. Because of the nature of the failure, its one of those problems where it usually reveals itself early on and not many years down the road. As far as getting it covered under warranty, you're better off calling Toyota Customer Care and speaking to one of their agents. You may get some assistance from them whether it be 100% coverage or half- anything is good at this point considering you're past any type of coverage. Good luck!

J

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try Toyota Care, but I'm sure I'll get the big "No"... but it's worth a call.

What was your experience with success of the repair... many many forum posts report of multiple attempts to solve the problem... some of the posts as late as 2014

·
Registered
11 Sequoia Platinum
86 Posts
I will try Toyota Care, but I'm sure I'll get the big "No"... but it's worth a call.

What was your experience with success of the repair... many many forum posts report of multiple attempts to solve the problem... some of the posts as late as 2014

I can't speak for anyone else and don't know how or why It wasn't resolved right away, I've had only success in the repair but I follow it exactly as described in the TSB. It helps to massage the areas in between the welds to break up any of the coating between the 2 panels before installing the shim. In rare cases, much of the noise can be eliminated by just doing that alone.

J

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
14 Posts
Have a 2012 Camry SE V6. Had repair done at around 5k at dealership. Popping sound has gone away. Have little over 36k on now.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Yup... started doing it over the last couple of months... mileage is in the mid 80's ... Seems to be getting worse...

I will query the local service mgr

#1 Are you familiar with the issue
#2 How many times have you done this repair
#3 How successful have you been at the repair (how many repeat treatments required)
#4 Will you warranty the repair??? (This is the big one... If I have to pay, I only want to pay once)
#5 Have you had any moon roof issues after the repair (leaks, alignment issues, malfunctions, etc)
#6 Can you assign a technician who is VERY familiar with the repair
Sounds like a murder investigation. :cigar-smoker:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might have been for some folks who paid close to $1000 for the repair only to have the angry squirrels return over and over :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been hearing this noise sometimes when I pull out of my driveway! It has been driving me crazy. Does the repair cover 2014 models? I have a 2014 SE with 28.8k miles on it.

·
Account canceled
430 Posts
I have a 2012 XLE that developed this problem a few months ago with only 15k on the clock at the time, but unfortunately a few months after the 36-month warranty limit expired. I contacted Toyota Customer Care and they said their initial judgment on the matter was basically, sorry. They said they'd consider the matter for another 30 days to make a final determination, however.

So, the TSB doesn't look very hard to implement, but removing the roof headliner looks like a bear - 4.5 hr of labor in the TSB also tells me that it's not a trivial job. Anyone here try it, and of so, can you share pointers?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've been hearing this noise sometimes when I pull out of my driveway! It has been driving me crazy. Does the repair cover 2014 models? I have a 2014 SE with 28.8k miles on it.
Yes it does. As of November 18'th the TSB was updated to cover 2014-16 models. I went looking because my 2015 has started doing this when I turn to the right over uneven surfaces (e.g. pavement hump turning into a driveway). I paid the $15 for a 48 hour TIS membership so I have the actual TSB. Assuming you're still under 36 months/36k miles you're covered under warranty. Let me know if you want a copy of the TSB.

I'm going in for my 15k service in a little over a week. I'm going to bring it up then and show them the updated TSB (dealers love to claim a TSB doesn't exist or doesn't apply to your vehicle). I have a dash cam so I should be able to show them a few instances of the noise for when they inevitably claim they can't replicate the issue. I have lots of faith in dealers...can't you tell?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
As far as I know the TSB only applies to models with the moon roof, but it's worth bringing up that it's a common enough issue to have a TSB issued and see if a dealer bites.

My car is at the dealer for the second day today for this repair (also an Entune update for weird Pandora glitches). I should be getting it back tomorrow.

There's one spot that causes the noise without fail. Assuming I get the car back tomorrow I'll test it out and report back if the noise is gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2014 camry just past 3 years that is doing it, Im hoping Toyota will pay for part of it at least. Did toyota pay for the one with 80k miles? If so, what did you say to them to convince?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any luck?

I have a 2012 XLE that developed this problem a few months ago with only 15k on the clock at the time, but unfortunately a few months after the 36-month warranty limit expired. I contacted Toyota Customer Care and they said their initial judgment on the matter was basically, sorry. They said they'd consider the matter for another 30 days to make a final determination, however.

So, the TSB doesn't look very hard to implement, but removing the roof headliner looks like a bear - 4.5 hr of labor in the TSB also tells me that it's not a trivial job. Anyone here try it, and of so, can you share pointers?

Thanks,
Mark

Any luck getting toyota to cover all or part?
thanks! Im thinking of having a body shop look at it, see if they have any ideas.
I refuse to pay $900, which I was quoted

1 - 20 of 24 Posts