Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drive a 2007 Corolla S

I don't like to hit up forums like this but i love my corolla and enjoy knowing how to fix it, but this one i cant figure out.

While it was under warranty and i didnt have much time to investigate I took it to the dealership the first time it was making this noise. I wish I knew 100% what the dealer repair guy said, but what I do remember is him saying it was some sort of belt that needed to be replaced. It didnt make sense to me at the time but the noise was 99% gone. I said 99% because i could still faintly hear it but not as bad as it was before i went there... However in a months time the noise was back in full force..

To explain the noise, it is like a clunking noise. Almost like metal on metal. A "thud" could explain it but to me is seems like the suspension. Like it should be smoother but its failing or something is broke. You only hear it if you hit a pot hole, or maybe like a quick dip in the road. Driveways are a good way to recreate it, but pot holes are just as consistent.

It sounds like is right near the front driverside wheel. Definitely in that area if not the wheel then something pretty darn close to it.

If i were to go bounce the front the car or shake it, you cannot hear anything. Everything seems fine..

Anyone know what I can check, or what I can look at?

How safe is it to be driving on this?

Other notable things:
1.) The car shakes really bad when engaging the breaks down hill. Maybe related or early sign breaks need to be replaced?

2.) When going from neutral into reverse, the engine shakes very hardly. Like a loud thud. A friend who also has a corolla said thats normal but i figured its worth pointing out.

Any feedback on how to troubleshoot this would be awsome. :chug:

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
lose sway bar end link, lose exhaust shield, bad motor mount, bad strut mount... I could go on, so yeah could be anything, without actually looking at it no one can really tell what it is, only speculate.

take it to a mechanic and have them drive it and listen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Push up and down on the car on that side, like you do when you check shocks and see if you can make it happen. If so you should be able to find the source if you have another person pushing on it while you check.
If you have a good jack, jack that side up and shake the tire back and forth all directions and see what you find. (being careful not to get in the way if it falls off the jack)
Like Ren69 said, my first thought is a strut or strut mount, but hard to say without being there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was the cause? I have the same thing going on with my 2018 Corolla (I purchased brand new in 2018 and noise started around 30K miles) I've had it at Toyota dealership 4 times, their master Toyota tech looked at it twice and drove it, passenger strut changed out, sway bar bushings, told coil spring was misaligned and fixed, they took the entire front end of my car apart twice looking for cause, found nothing, re-tightened suspension bolts which seemed to help a tad but noise still there told not a tie rod end. Last visit told they'd love to fix since I do have Toyota care warranty but can't find a single thing wrong with front end SO frustrating. Said they're pretty certain it's a plastic pc. up under grill, the 2018 has a fancy style plastic grill. I'm no mechanic but the noise is certainly not plastic on plastic it's 100% metal on metal clunking, totally random but seems to happen most when turning and hitting bump/and or pothole. I tried to capture it on my phone/recorder but doesn't pick it up.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sway bar endlink or control arm bushing. Could also possibly sway bar bushings. All cheap and not a total PITA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sway bar endlink or control arm bushing. Could also possibly sway bar bushings. All cheap and not a total PITA
K thanks for that info. Dealership did replace the sway bar bushings but that did nothing to help the noise. I can say after the last (4th) visit I had to them for this clunking they said they "tightened my suspension bolts" noise still there is a tad better but still there.

·
Super Moderator
9,023 Posts
Sway bar bushings. Almost positive.
Otherwise, ISS clunk. Toyota and GM are plagued with that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for that info. Dealership already replaced the sway bar bushings so wasn't that. SO annoying. One would think after 4 trips to Toyota dealership and a "master tech" looking over my car twice would of found the issue but apparently not.

·
Registered
801 Posts
K thanks for that info. Dealership did replace the sway bar bushings but that did nothing to help the noise. I can say after the last (4th) visit I had to them for this clunking they said they "tightened my suspension bolts" noise still there is a tad better but still there.
You're getting waxed for fake labor bro, you gotta get under there and poke around til you find it. Jack the front of your car up, hold the wheel at the 12oclock and 3o'clock positions and try to rock it back and forth. If you have excessive play, it could be sway bar endlink or tie rod end bushing.
Grab your wheel at the 12 o'clock and 6 oclock position and try to move the wheel in and out. If you have play, it's most likely the wheel bearing. Good luck and let us know what you find

·
Registered
801 Posts
Someone also made a good point. Have a helper observe your front wheels. Idle the car forward and press the brakes firmly. If your wheels stop spinning but the wheel shifts in any direction, control arm bushings could be bad. You can also visually inspect the bushings and if they're cracked or damaged, you will see it. I would also check your motor mounts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts