Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. When I drive on low speeds on a bumpy road or over gravel it clunks and sounds like metal hitting metal, however the noise stops when I apply the brakes. Even if i just press the brake pedal slightly. What could this be?? Could something be loose or messed up bushings? I took of the front wheels to see if I can spot something loose or ripped but i did not see anything, and I just had my alignment done.

Please let me know if anybody had this problem. I read some other threads with similar problems but no solution.
I have a 2002 corolla S auto. PLEASE HELP/ THANKS

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think your best bet is have it check by reputable mechanic or goign to one of those places where they inspect your car with an oil change.Whenever oil change was due and I was pressed for time i took my car to Firestone their inspection is accurate and it was free with the oil change.Just take in mind there are some states where by law if you take your car to a mechanic and they find is unsafe to drive it(brakes worn out to the metal,control arms missing bushings etc...) they won't let you drive your car unless you either fix it there or tow it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your best bet is have it check by reputable mechanic or goign to one of those places where they inspect your car with an oil change.Whenever oil change was due and I was pressed for time i took my car to Firestone their inspection is accurate and it was free with the oil change.Just take in mind there are some states where by law if you take your car to a mechanic and they find is unsafe to drive it(brakes worn out to the metal,control arms missing bushings etc...) they won't let you drive your car unless you either fix it there or tow it.
I was actually considering going to a mechanic to get it check out but they usually be charging too much even for inspection. I didnt know places like Firestone do a free inspection with an oil change. How much did they charge you?

im just gonna wait if someone here had a similar problem and has an advice on what to check. If not them to the mechanic I go.

·
Old_El_Paseo
289 Posts
Maybe one or both caliper bolts are loose. happened to me once. when you press the brakes the grip so the noise stops.
Jack up car and remove wheel. try to move the caliper. if it moves, re-tighten bolt.
you should also check the top suspension bolts ( 3 bolts on strut tower. maybe they are loose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was actually considering going to a mechanic to get it check out but they usually be charging too much even for inspection. I didnt know places like Firestone do a free inspection with an oil change. How much did they charge you?

im just gonna wait if someone here had a similar problem and has an advice on what to check. If not them to the mechanic I go.
it was like $25 plus tip for the oil change.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have took off the wheels and tightened the caliper bolts, no change. I will try the 3 bolts on top next. What kind of a sign you had when your calipers where loose? was it constantly rattling over bumps?

·
Registered
46 Posts
So you paid $25 total and they changed your oil and did a quick inspection for you? That sounds too good to be true lol.
that was like 3 years ago but check to see if they still offer it with the oil change if not it can't be that expensive, i know twice they gave me a printed report stating what was wrong with my car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Metal on Metal noise & klunking noise in 02 corolla

This is just a SUGGESTION on my part--I had the same low speed noises comming from the front end on a 01 corolla LE. After lots of $$$ new struts and a lot of frustration I finally changed out the sway-bar links and bushings myself (Four hour job for an old duffer) cost was about $50.00 w/parts and my labor. Moderate to difficult for me-however it stopped the noise!! Money well spent-car has 140K miles! For what it is worth!!:clap:

·
Old_El_Paseo
289 Posts
that would have been my next suggestion. but a loose bolt is more easy to check and re-tighten.
you could take a breaker bar and check bushings, pry the bars and see if resistance to movement is reasonable.
toyotas seem to have a weak point with sway bar and control arm bushings. last reasonably long. but ive seen better in other brands of cars

·
Registered
11 Posts
sway-bar bushings etc.

that would have been my next suggestion. but a loose bolt is more easy to check and re-tighten.
you could take a breaker bar and check bushings, pry the bars and see if resistance to movement is reasonable.
toyotas seem to have a weak point with sway bar and control arm bushings. last reasonably long. but ive seen better in other brands of cars
I tried the prybar method with the front end on pavement and elevated--could not get any noises either way--very hard to simulate driving conditions in the static mode. I did notice that the bar links were tilted differently which was a giveaway-also mine were very rusted from 11 years in the rust belt+you need to have a allen wrench to hold them while dis-assembling--it would have been easier to sawsall them off. If what was stated is true about longitivity on the links & design-it would be prudent to give it a try???:clap:

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is just a SUGGESTION on my part--I had the same low speed noises comming from the front end on a 01 corolla LE. After lots of $$$ new struts and a lot of frustration I finally changed out the sway-bar links and bushings myself (Four hour job for an old duffer) cost was about $50.00 w/parts and my labor. Moderate to difficult for me-however it stopped the noise!! Money well spent-car has 140K miles! For what it is worth!!:clap:
I was going to suggest that but what trow me off is he say applying the brakes makes the noise go away in my case i had bad links and bushings but braking did nothing to minimize the noise unless i drove 5mph.But yes sway bar bushings and links can cause a loud noise when driving over potholes or bumps.

·
Old_El_Paseo
289 Posts
yeah. very annoying. my wife's camry has the same problem. every hole makes a thump. but these damn sway bars are expensive. especially since there a a lot of em.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeah. very annoying. my wife's camry has the same problem. every hole makes a thump. but these damn sway bars are expensive. especially since there a a lot of em.
you don't need the whole sway bar just the end links and the bushings

MOOG Part # K90617 sway bar bushings $5.56 each x2
MOOG Part # K90124 Front Sway Bar Links $26.79 each x2

Both at Rockauto.com

In case you don't know Moog parts are very good replacements in many cases better than oem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Corolla with 117,000 miles that was making the same clunking sound. I bought new sway bar bushings and link bars $46 and it took me two hours to replace them in my driveway. The only hard part of the whole job was the bolts on the link bars would spin so i grabbed hold of them with a pair of vice grips to get the nut off.

Took it for a ride and no more clunk. If that does not work then i have read it could be the strut mounts, which are cheap but to remove them is a little more involved.

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The only hard part of the whole job was the bolts on the link bars would spin so i grabbed hold of them with a pair of vice grips to get the nut off.
there is a hole in the bolt to use a Allen wrench

so it don't spin while you use and open end wrench to tighten the nut,it helps a lot if you find a ratchet wrench like this one

beware oem end links has 14mm nut but replacements can come with different nut size even Sae(1/8",1/2" 3/8" etc...) my Moog replacement came with 17mm nut ,it really don't matter as long as link is same size.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys I will try the strut mounts first and check of anything is loose since the noise goes away when i press the brake pedal, I think if it was the bushings applying the brakes wouldn't make the noise to stop.

Plus I have another problem, my key broke off in the ignition. I have a half of the key stuck in there now. I dont knowif there is anyway to take it out or I need a new ignition switch. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas.
Thanks for the help

·
Old_El_Paseo
289 Posts
lol, that's a tough one. i guess there's not even a bit sticking out to grab it with a key ? before you buy another key cylinder you might want to do a small research, maybe there's a way, or ask a locksmith, maybe he can do it for a very small fee.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Plus I have another problem, my key broke off in the ignition. I have a half of the key stuck in there now. I dont knowif there is anyway to take it out or I need a new ignition switch. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas.
Thanks for the help
Any decent Locksmith will have tools to do the job if you have insurance with Geico or Progressive and you opted for roadside assistance with them locksmith is covered I know because i use it a few times with both of them companies don't know about the others also AAA covers locksmith

Oh and about the struts mounts sometimes it's easy to spot a bad one but sometimes you just can't tell by looking and based on my experience don't buy KYB ones they make good shocks but awful strut mounts Try to go OEM on that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea I been messing with it for awhile today on and off. only half of the key broke off so its all the way inside, like half a inch in the keyhole. I tried to remove the ignition switch but it is mounted to the steering column and it looks like the only way to remove it is to drill it out. So what I did is just took out the key cylinder ( or whatever its called) the part that the actual key goes in.

So now Im sitting at the house with that piece trying to get this little sh*t out. Using paper clips, magnets and just good o'll hitting it on the ground so far nothing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
8 Participants
Stoker-AZ
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing