Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
97 Camry
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Started clunking a while after the rattle went away with new rear shocks & sway bar bushings. Shop says I need all 4 track rods replaced. Are there bushing kits available cuz this is $900+ in parts alone!

·
RU2CHKN?
94 Camry LE
611 Posts
Did you change your strut mounts when you did you rear shocks?

·
97 Camry
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you change your strut mounts when you did you rear shocks?
No struts were changed on warranty basis by Can Tire - THey messed up my ABS but won't admit it
This new noise was not immediate after struts so I think bushings but which onesare most vulnerable

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
The upper strut mounts are located outboard of the rear deck speakers. If you removed the rear deck the mounts would be exposed.

Have someone drive the car over speed bumps, etc when you ride in the back seat and listen to these areas. If the mounts are knocking you should be able so zoom in on the noise.

The other possiblities for knock noise are the sway bar mounts (located under the chassis) and sway bar end links (behind the tire).

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Also consider the 4 rear lateral control rods. (That's what Toyota calls them.) It's usually the rear one of the 2 on each side that goes. The bushing goes out on them causing a clunk. That may be what the shop is referring to as track rods. You can test these out yourself rather easily. Just jack up the rear of the car. Now grab each rear wheel at 3:00 and 9:00 and try to see if there is any side to side play. If there is, chances are you will also hear the clunk noise. To my knowledge there are no replacement bushings available for these, even in the aftermarket.

Mike

·
RU2CHKN?
94 Camry LE
611 Posts
Sway bar bushings can also cause a squeaking sound in the rear if they are worn or not lubricated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts