Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
an old man
93 Camry XLE
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

so, my wife calls me from the side of the road. the oil light came on, car lost power, and there's a really bad clunkity-clunk noise coming from the lower part of the engine when you attempt to rev it.

that sounds bad.

so, if'n i have to rebuild this engine, how do i get the most out of it without going into debt taking it to the Seattle speed shop and spending thousands of dollars getting it balanced and blueprinted. i'm handy with car stuff, was getting ready to lower this one, but now...

any thoughts on this? should i take the rods/pistons/crank some place to get lightened and balanced? do i bore it at all? anything i can do to the head to get more power out of it?

thanks for your thoughts,
-me

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
93CamryWA said:
Hi,

so, my wife calls me from the side of the road. the oil light came on, car lost power, and there's a really bad clunkity-clunk noise coming from the lower part of the engine when you attempt to rev it.

that sounds bad.
The clunking sound is from the rods (spun rod bearings).

any thoughts on this? should i take the rods/pistons/crank some place to get lightened and balanced? do i bore it at all?
Take it apart and see whats damaged. You could have a bad rod(s) and/or crank as a result of spun rod bearings.

If so you might be better off buying a used low milage imported (from Japan) 5S-FE.

If the cylinder walls are in good condition you can have them honed. You can also bore it out, but you'll need to get bigger pistons.

And yes I would have the crank balanced. Take it to a machine shop / engine builder.

anything i can do to the head to get more power out of it?
Port & polish.

Cams (http://www.webcamshafts.com)

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
if the oil light came on, you had a catastrophic loss of oil pressure (probably volume too)

a "new" engine is your best bet...

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
i agree you need a new engine. that happened to me once and i turned off the motor a sec after the light came on so i just replaced the oil pump but the motor was gone already :disappoin
it's better to just buy a new motor honestly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts