Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently replaced the bulbs in my cluster for the speedometer and tachometer. Now they don't illuminate. All of the instrument lights work like check engine, turn signals, oil light, battery light, etc.

I checked the fuses and none are blown.
The glove box light works.
All tail lights and turn signals work
Headlights work.
The dimmer works, I can tell because it changes the brightness on the climate control and radio lights.

Everything works but the speedometer and tachometer lights so I can't see what speed I'm going at night.

Not really sure where to go from here, any help would be much appreciated! Thank you

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,439 Posts
recheck the wire harness connection where it plugs into the instrument cluster

probably that one wire isn't getting a good contact

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you replaced with LED then you may have put them in backwards. They do have a + and a -.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
226 Posts
damn, what happened that required you to replace the sockets? Rusted/corroded to hell? Was thinking in the case of corrosion maybe the existing bulbs were holding everything together or something. They usually are the last things to ever break as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damn, what happened that required you to replace the sockets? Rusted/corroded to hell? Was thinking in the case of corrosion maybe the existing bulbs were holding everything together or something. They usually are the last things to ever break as far as I can tell.
So when I had replaced the bulbs, they were REALLY stuck so I'm assuming I just ripped some part of the socket out with the bulb and it caused it to not produce power.

·
Registered
226 Posts
oh damn, when I did my LED upgrade they were stuck as well, 20+ years of doing their thing so I had to wiggle them slowly since I didn't want to break the filament. The green rubber condoms they had were very helpful with that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts