Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving today, preaty fast when i shifted to neutral to go downhill.. you know to save GAS :( and then my car would NOT shift back into any speed :(

Is that the clutch? Its one of the things we did not touch when we redid the gaskets and stuff.

Could it be the fork?

When i press clutch it feels about the same its not lighter, or much lighter

It completly fails to engage, engine just free spins and i dont feel any contact of the gears

Hewp :headbang:

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes theres still brake fluid there, the clutch master cylinder moves as supposed to.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Had given you any indication that it may be going out. It was shifting fine, then you couldn't shift back into gear. sounds to me like it could be something with the shifter. Now whether a fork has gone bad or just bushing, that you'll have to tear into to see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
does it grind when you try to put in gear, or just not seem to line up so to speak? Check all the linkage from the shifter to the tranny also before you tear into it too far??

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does not shift out of neutral. It seems t be stuck in Neutral. The clitch slave cylinder seems to work ok, ill check it later. and the linkage.

Does NOT GRIND the gears, i have grinded a bit but very rarely.

If switched to REVERSE it makes that retarded clicking sound but does not engage, still stays in neutral...

Thanks for the prompt help guys.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Shifter looks fine, and assemby cables move. We poped hood for a quick inspection. Slave cylinder also moves correctly. Its raining here and stuff so were preaty hesitant to inspect it and yank out motor with no lift :(

The engine got rebuild and we assembled stuff correctly. One thing we did not change was that darn pressureplate and clutch disk cuz the previous owner was like "ITS NEW, I JUZT REPLACED IT!" and i bet thats whats dead.

Repair book says
1 bad transmission
2 bad pressure plate or clutch disk

So I think its that. Though i heard that its supposed to grind if the clutch is worn, maybe pressure plate has worn out. I drive pretty aggressively sometimes.

Once again thanks guys. Let me know If you had this before?

·
Registered
25 Posts
had a nissan 300zx tha the splined center part of the clutch disk that actually drives the input shaft broke lose from the rest of the clutch in a very simular situation as you described. pressure plate, fork, throw out bearing, hydralic clutch system, transmission were all fine. sounds like you are on the right track man, good luck

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the clutch when we first took engine appart, it looks about the same now, we never disassembled it back then.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Well, from that picture you can't see the condition of the Disc and plate or flywheel. You are only seeing the back side of it. What concerns me and what I focused on is that you can't get it out of neutral. Even if the clutch was bad, you should at least be able to go through the gears. So I am still stuck on that. If you do remove the trans again, don't reinstall it without putting in a new P/plate, new dise, and new T/O bearing. With the age of the car, I might even condsider a new clutch fork too.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Will it shift trough the gears with the engine off( move through the pattern)? If it wont ,then the problem is in your shifter linkage /cables / transmission.

If it will shift into gear with the engine off , shift into 1st gear with the engine off and while keeping the clutch pushed in try to start the car.

If it jerks forward when starters ingaged and the clutch is pushed in then its your clutch( disc, presure plate, throw out bearing ,fork ) one or all could need replacing depending on how much wear.

If it does not jerk forward when you start it, let the clutch out slowly in each gear( shift the stick through the pattern). If it does not engage in any gear then it could be the clutch again or transmission.

If it engages in one or more gears( as you go througn the pattern)but not all, its your trans.

Your decription of how it happend and that you had not had signs of clutch going out before, makes me think your disc came apart( as was suggested before) or you damaged your trans.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Check this out, BOTH of my shifter cable clamps fell off my car the same day last week and did exactly the same thing. Go look, $1.42 each.

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sorry bout the wait heres some pictures

Thanks for everyones help.

The engine has been reassembled already, Parts u see have been cleaned and replaced with a new clutch kit. The trans shifts fine but have not road tested the car yet. were the fingers too far streched? they look like they have wear on em? I think the pressure plate was bad.

Clutch disk looks same as new one a bit polished thats all.

* fork and bearing are NOT missing, just removed LOL

Im just wondering, whats was wrong with the old one?

·
Registered
510 Posts
When you pulled the engine ,but before you removed the pressure plate could you move the disc by hand?

Are the splines in the disc or on the input shaft damaged?

The flywheel looks like the disc was slipping. Did it smell burnt? Did you measure the disc thickness?

Is the flywheel/pressure plate discolored (blue ) in spots?

When the trans was out did you shift it into gear and check to see if it was working( turn the input shaft and see if it was ingaged)?

Wear on the fingers of the pressure plate is normal, but there shouldnt be be much on a new one( unless the throw out bearing was seized), old ones can have the fingers worn all the way through.

You can test the pressure plate by standing in the middle( pushing the diaphram down and seeing if the face moves up. You can also put a straight edge on the face ( it should be flat).

You can smoke a clutch in less than 5 seconds of high speed slipping.

Were you doing burnouts?

·
... It still runs...
Tercel
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We started and ran car today, but its late cant see nothing.
Car runs fine, shifts well and mostly ok, gonna go to mechanics next to me to possibly tune the distributor, i have no freakin idea what im doing. Gonna commute tommrow and see.

Yes i admit i did do burnouts but only a few times. At very low speeds... car ran fine after that.

I dont know about the smell since my exhaust pipe was broken at the flex pipe, so it crapped all over the bottom of the car and while driving OR standing still i smelled exhaust all the time :smokin:, hopefully new "preowned" pipe gonna hold up.

Yeah i think its pressure plate, I think the clutch wheel was movable when transmisson was taken off.

Im just gonna leave these stuff as a memento of the previous owner who said "clutch iz brand new! just put it in"

Thanks for the info guys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts