Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'94 pickup 22re 2wd
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys,
my clutch is really starting to slip which is not that bad because it's been 115k miles... I need to get it replaced, and my question is, how hard/time consuming is it? I know I can get the clutch kit for pretty cheap, like $130, but I am a regular workoholic and I need my truck done quickly. Should I do it myself, where I have never replaced a clutch before, or should I fork out the cash and have a shop do it. This is really a question of time... Also if I do get it done by a shop, what should I be expecting to pay considering I will purchase the kit myself? If you have anything to add as far as the best clutch I can get, where to get it or anything else is welcome. I can use all the help you have to offer.

thanks guys...

·
Stop buying garbage
301 Posts
clutch

Matus,

Like you said, depends if you have more time than money or vice versa.

The job isn't too bad for someone with common sense.

you should be able to do it in a full day with a bit of luck. the only problem I've had is that both times I've done it, I've broken at least one of the 6 bolts holding the shifter cover on. I really took my time and PB'd the bastard but there was one that was heavily corroded this past time that wouldn't come. so I file it flat, tap it out and insert new bolt. So a tap and die set is handy. You could also just drill a hole through and bolt/nut, cumbersome but works, I did it the last time as I didn't own a tap and die set at the time.

beyond that the only other hurdle is that the average home shop doesn't have a transmission jack. I removed the circular plate from my 3 tonne jack, drilled 2 holes in it and bolted a piece of plywood to it. I have other smaller pieces of plywood screwed to the top of the main piece that center and support the tranny. I drilled 1/2" holes in the perimeter of the main piece to run rope through and over the tranny to keep it in place as I use the jack to backthe tranny off the spline and lower it out of the way.

support the engine when the tranny is out. find yourself a machine shop because you should by default get the flywheel ground. See if you can find a machine shop that will do it while you wait, some send them away in which case you will need to leave it for a day or 2. so call around and scope that out in advance.

I PB the tranny crossmember bolts a couple of days in advance, as well as the front and rear driveshaft bolts. using a cold chisel tap a good mark so you can install the driveshafts back in their original position. I leave the front driveshaft on the transfer case and disconnect it at the front diff (tie it in place to keep it from flopping).

So basically with a few tips from others here I think you can manage the few minor hurdles and options you will have to deal with.

I wouldn't want to do anything I had to get done in a certain time. I like to take these jobs more casually to preserve the enjoyability as inevitably the unexpected factors in.

if you decide to move forward let me know and I can forward precise steps. following the manual can often get you involved in unnecessary time consuming steps.
Pete

1 - 2 of 2 Posts