Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my RAV4 hybrid's first 12000 miles, when I took my foot off the gas and was coasting, my RAV4 always turned off the gas engine and went into EV mode. This ended a few weeks ago.

I was driving at 60 mph and took my foot off the gas. The car jolted with a rumpity bump while the EV indicator flashed on and off as the car struggled but failed to get into EV. Ever since that one incident, the car has never attempted to turn off the gas engine at 60 mph.

A few days later, I was driving at 70 mph and took my foot off the gas and, like before at 60, the car struggled to get into EV mode (with another rumpity bump jolt). After that, the car never again attempted to turn off the gas engine at 70.

I’ll mention that moving to EV works just fine under 45. That is, when I’m driving around town, the gas engine shuts off at all the right times.

My Toyota service people say that RAV4 hybrids are never expected to turn off the gas engine at highway speeds. What's up?

·
8,164 Posts
1. you do not have clutch. You have what is called torque dampener that sort of looks like a clutch plate, but is not.

2. Reason ICE is coupled to PSD after 45mph is simple. ICE is used as ballast to dump additional electricity MG generates and to prevent MG overheating. There is set level of RPM MG should not exceed.

That said, there should really be no jolts or jerks when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

Now, with what I said in mind, I did have odd behavior of my HiHy at 60mph. Though not supposed but, it did show EV mode on at that speed. Not all the time, several times, but it did. Then again, that vehicle had jolting issue at between 25-35 mph, rolling in EV. Exactly like as if clutches were slipping in auto trannie - except that there are none. So I sort of know what you referring to...
I sold it. 2 accidents in a row plus that persistent jolting... was too much for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts