Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 Corolla with a 5 speed and the clutch does not engage until the very top of the clutch pedals travel. The car has about 150,000km (93,000mi) on it and I don't think the clutch has ever been replaced. The pedal also feels squishy in the first inch or so of travel. Are these signs of a bad clutch? It still grabs hard and doesn't slip but I'm just worried the clutch will need replacing soon. Thoughts?

Thanks

·
7,777 Posts
I don't understand what "top of the pedal travel" means. Pedal IS at the top. It travels DOWN. Does it grab at the pedal TOP or it grabs at the BOTTOM of the pedal travel? Case 1, it needs to be adjusted, case 2, you need to change brake fluid in clutch MC and bleed it. That's why it feels "squishy".

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,131 Posts
Try gravity bleed method on the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder shares fluid from the master cylinder.

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand what "top of the pedal travel" means. Pedal IS at the top. It travels DOWN. Does it grab at the pedal TOP or it grabs at the BOTTOM of the pedal travel? Case 1, it needs to be adjusted, case 2, you need to change brake fluid in clutch MC and bleed it. That's why it feels "squishy".
I'm saying that the pedal doesn't grab until it is almost all the way up (furthest from the floor). How would I adjust a hydraulic slave cylinder? I know that clutches operated with a cable are adjustable but I've never heard of a slave cylinder being adjustable. I will try bleeding the clutch and see if it helps with the squishy feeling.

·
7,777 Posts
1. cylinders have pushrods that can be adjusted to spec
2. there are charts available for any make, specifying, how to adjust clutch pedal free play. That meaning - until it starts releasing clutch disk.
3. squishy, spongy clutch pedal is normally air in the system. Or, clutch master bleeding fluid past its seals. Rebuilt kits are ready available, those are very easy to do. But, first line of defense is to bleed clutch and replace fluid completely. I'd be very careful with buying cheap MC from parts stores. We had 3 of them go bad on son's Madaspeed in very short time, matter of few weeks. But, we got what we paid for - they were like 40 bucks and replaced under warranty. It's the labor every time..

·
7,777 Posts
Sorry for chopped response..
But yes, if, after all adjustments were done and within spec, and clutch pedal releases clutch pressure plate onto the clutch disk = grabs - at the very end of pedal top position, thickness of that disk and, possibly, plate, are less than they should. What is worn out disk, plate or both.
Put front bumper very gently and with some protection against something solid. A wall. Unless you have very good parking brake, then engage it. Start engine, put gear shifter into 1st gear and slowly release clutch. If engine stalls, you have functional clutch disk. If it does not - well, clutch time it is.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Try bleeding the clutch, is the clutch slipping when you suddenly give it gas or drive over a deep puddle?

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try bleeding the clutch, is the clutch slipping when you suddenly give it gas or drive over a deep puddle?
I took a look at the slave cylinder and when I push the pedal down on the squishy part, the slave cylinder still moves. This indicates to me that there is no air in the system. No the clutch does not slip at all and still grabs hard.

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. cylinders have pushrods that can be adjusted to spec
2. there are charts available for any make, specifying, how to adjust clutch pedal free play. That meaning - until it starts releasing clutch disk.
3. squishy, spongy clutch pedal is normally air in the system. Or, clutch master bleeding fluid past its seals. Rebuilt kits are ready available, those are very easy to do. But, first line of defense is to bleed clutch and replace fluid completely. I'd be very careful with buying cheap MC from parts stores. We had 3 of them go bad on son's Madaspeed in very short time, matter of few weeks. But, we got what we paid for - they were like 40 bucks and replaced under warranty. It's the labor every time..
Interesting. I will take a look.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,131 Posts
Then you can adjust the height of the clutch pedal. Look at the switch behind the pedal.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,131 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a 2003 Corolla with a 5 speed and the clutch does not engage until the very top of the clutch pedals travel. The car has about 150,000km (93,000mi) on it and I don't think the clutch has ever been replaced. The pedal also feels squishy in the first inch or so of travel. Are these signs of a bad clutch? It still grabs hard and doesn't slip but I'm just worried the clutch will need replacing soon. Thoughts?

Thanks
You can also clean the clutch fork to see if it's dry.

The clutch itself has always been mute in the sense of grabbing gears. This is part of the reason they are easy to drive.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When was the last time the brake fluid was flushed ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just flushed it about 3 weeks ago. However I have never bled the clutch.
Try bleeding the clutch, super easy, same method as bleeding brakes but by pumping clutch, bleed screw is on the slave cylinder, I believe it's an 8mm. Tou may have degraded fluid up in the cylinder, this will get that fresh fluid in/ eliminate any air bubbles

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,131 Posts
I did gravity bleed myself. Pretty easy to do.

Didn't know it could be bled by pumping clutch pedal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts