Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best website to buy a clutch kit for my 98 Camry V6 ? Also, where can i download a "do it yourself" guide or repair manual for replacing the clutch ??

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
ajamils said:
Whats the best website to buy a clutch kit for my 98 Camry V6 ? Also, where can i download a "do it yourself" guide or repair manual for replacing the clutch ??
just done a 1mz-fe earlier, let me see if i can still remember.

here is a BRIEF to do list
1. take off battery, air box, starter, 2 shift cables, unbolt slave cylinder, and hang it somewhere no on the way.
2. jackup front evenly, take off driver side wheel, and the big axle bolt that hold the drive axle, and 3 more bolts on the control arm in order to pull out the driver side drive axle.
3. take out the snap clip and bolt on the drive axle, and pull the driver side drive axle out, need something to collect transmission oil after u pull out the drive axel.
4. look around see if there is anything else around the transmission that is on the way and take them off, take off the transmission mount bracket as well, and the bracket on top too.
5. take out all bolt that hold the transmission to the engine, they are in different length, dont' mix them up.
6. if you can take out passenger side drive axel easily, do it, we couldn't take it out after removing snap clip and lock bolt, even hammer it on the other side, and it won't come out, pry it, wont' come out either.
7. jackup the transmission with a wood in between, make sure the jack is movable, because the goal is slide the transmission to the driver side for about 5 or 6 inches, use pry bar and pry the transmission apart from the engine, since the passenger side drive axle stuck in so tight, so we just pry out the transmission with the passenger side drive axle still on. it will be just harder to align when putting the transmission back to the engine.

8. once the transmission is apart, you can ubolt the pressure plate from the flywheel, lube or replace the bearing, and lube the fork level with high temp grease, i guess that is 50% of the job, once you put the new clutch plate and pressure plate back on, just do the reverse the process. took 3 people, total 8 to 10 hours of labor on an outside home parking lot.

i might have omitted some steps, but that is all i could remember for now.

suggest tool you need that will make your life easier
thread lock glue
pepboy pry bar.
high temp grease
brake cleaning spray for cleaning,
long pipe bar for some stubborn big bolts, wd40
1/4 and 1/2 rachet wrench, allen wrench, sockets in all size up to 30mm
MT oil

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot bro.....if you remember anything else, let me know.

But the main question still remains.......where should I get the clutch kit and wat brand ?? Any particular brand you recommend ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am replacing the clutch on my '97 V6 CE next week. Go to spec clutch dot com. That's where I ordered mine from. I got the stage two, in case someone wants to put a supercharger on after I sell it (planning on getting an '05 Evo). The stage 2 is only like 369 bucks. Not too bad. I also bought a lightweight flywheel too. I'm curious as to how much that will improve throttle response. If you want a lightweight flywheel, I think the guy I bought one from has 1 or 2 left. I saw his posting on camryman.org

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Clutch Replacement for 98 Camry V6

bronzemaxell said:
just done a 1mz-fe earlier, let me see if i can still remember.

here is a BRIEF to do list

did u had to disassemble subframe assembly to replace the clutch or not ???

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Clutch Replacement for 98 Camry V6

ajamils said:
did u had to disassemble subframe assembly to replace the clutch or not ???
just take off the transmission side mounting bracket that was bolted to the driver side frame right behind the driver side wheel, so the transmission can move up and down with a jack. if you take off the "dirt cover", you will see it, i am not technical, not sure if that is called subframe assembly.

Depicted 10 is the side mount bracket
once we take off 9 and 10 on depicted, the transmssion is only held by bolts on between engine and transmission.

not sure if you've bought the hayes manual, we were looking at it, good for reference, but can't really follow cus we found it was too general, it was showing us remove the engine to change clutch, but if you do the lazy way, all u need just seperate the engine and transmision big enough gap (5 or 6 incches) to access the pressure plate.

if you have the $, go for the clutchmaster and lightweight flywheel,
we swapped with cm stage 2 and 10lbs flywheel, effectless on shifting compare to the dying oem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts