Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased toyota xtra care when I first got my car and its currently paying for a 5-speed transmission rebuild...finally paid off.

The toyota dealership working on my vehicle recommend I have the clutch replaced too while they have the transmission open. It seems to make sense and will cost me about $700..

Mileage is about 87800.

My clutch pedal has felt fine all along, no slipping.

Its probably obvious I would rather not pay for the clutch if I do not have to.

Opinions, comments, suggestions?

Thanks.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2021 Toyota Camry TRD
3,271 Posts
At that mileage i would think its worth it. Wouldn't you feel stupid if 20k miles down the line your clutch went? Then you would have to pay labor and everything.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Before deciding I'd first get an estimate for a clutch replacement from whatever shop you'd use for that if you didn't have the current transmission repair.

Clutch life is so dependent on various factors that it's hard to guess how much life is left on your present one. But at least that way you'd know how much you save by getting it done now.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Check the cost of the parts--pressure plage, clutch disk, and bearing, all at Toyota. Add in about an hour labor. You should not have to pay for the R&R of the trannie because it is already out. In any event, the cost is close and this is an absolute no-brainer. I'm surprised the clutch has lasted this long.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
cost me about $200 to $250 for toyota oem parts on clutch disc, pressure plate, release bearing, rear main seal, cv axles seals, the rest is all labor.
i think it would be stupid to pay $700 now to fix something that is still working, where you can probably have the clutch replacement done when it slip at around $500 for parts and labor in some local shop later.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
700 seems mildly high if the tranny is already out of the car, but not that high. It's due for replacement.

So, you drive 10k miles and the clutch plate slips. Take it in, lose the car for a few days, use a rental, pay to have them r&r the trannie, again. What's your time and convenience worth?

If they are going to pull the flywheel, replace the main oil seal, and do all the work needed to get it back to new then offer them a little less and maybe they will take it. The rest of your job was on warranty and they aren't getting rich on warranty work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

I called other dealerships around and they all seem to quote about the same for clutch replacement, so I pulled the trigger and gave the okay.

Hopefully the decision bears many happy miles.

:thumbsup:

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Did you tell the other dealers that the trans was already out of the car? $700, sounds like they are bending you over for labor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its too late now for this deal, but, to others in the same predicament i say YES do change the clutch out now but NO to the extra 7 bills - I would have bought the parts myself and brought them to their shop! They are adding too hefty a mark-up for the clutch parts. I think these folks are thieves. The clutch parts are going back in whether old or new and the labor cost ought to be THE SAME! They should have charged you about $400 extra at the most not $700.
If i were you i would not do business with them any more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
get an o.e.m. spec clutch at autozone... with LIFETIME warranty and then get labor from a trusted independent... with toyota clutches its very hard to screw up the job... if i do it in my driveway i am in and out in 4 hours...

·
Registered
'99 Camry
103 Posts
Old thread I see. 87k isn't that many miles, but it depends on where you are. And $700 seems steep if the trans is already out. Maybe an hour of labor on top of parts is what it should cost.

I put 255k onto a car and the clutch disc was near mint when it came out; mechanic said he'd have no problems running it again for another 250k. My current Camry is kissing 227k and it's still on the original clutch. But if I lived in a city I could see it being kaput at 100k or similar, with with all the stop & go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts