Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,139 Posts
Prius's may die but I think that would be because Toyota expanded their Hybrid technology into their other models. Camry Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid, etc. I doubt Hybrids will go anytime soon because as far as I know, the electric power station infrastructure isn't wide spread like gas stations. Until I see more electric vehicles from other manufacturers and a sort of standardized on those electronic charging stations, I won't be getting an electric car anytime soon. I don't want to search for a Toyota charging station, I don't want to search for a Chevy charging station, I don't want to search for a Tesla charging station. I also forgot about maintenance costs and just overall vehicle costs.

·
straight cash homie
18,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The technology was indeed revolutionary because it was the first to market. But now that the Prius DNA is in many other Toyotas, other makers also offer hybrids and the advent of BEVs and other alt fuels vehicles like Hydrogen, etc., the Prius reached mainstream status so it isn't a standout anymore.

For many, the Prius became a lifestyle (back when almost every celebrity bought and flaunted one), which the Tesla has now become.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
The technology was indeed revolutionary because it was the first to market. But now that the Prius DNA is in many other Toyotas, and other makers also offer hybrids, and the advent of BEVs and other alt fuels vehicles like Hydrogen, etc. For many, the Prius became a lifestyle (back when almost every celebrity bought and flaunted one), which the Tesla has now become.
I still enjoy the Prius C since it actually looks fast (and it isn't). (not like I have one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sales are down on Prius. There are many reasons.

SUVs and trucks are what people want these days. As an example, Ford is killing all car products except for the Mustang. They make so much more on trucks, why continue with loss leaders? This is in part being driven by low gas prices, which also impact interest in Prius.

Electric cars are becoming more viable, with the green geeks wanting the next new thing, I.e. Tesla. Hybrid is an old technology in comparison.

Prius is a go cart. It’s small, lots of road noise, and not nearly as comfortable as a big truck/SUV. With Toyota updating their entire lineup to include hybrid options, the interest in Prius is further eroded.

I’ve owned both a gen3 and gen4 Prius. The gen4 is the king of hybrids, at least as far as gas mileage is concerned. It’s an engineers delight to arrive home at the end of the day after a 40 mile commute with 80+ MPG on the instrument cluster. Then I drove the Camry SE hybrid and was awestruck by the comfort and quite.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts

SUVs and trucks are what people want these days. As an example, Ford is killing all car products except for the Mustang. They make so much more on trucks, why continue with loss leaders? This is in part being driven by low gas prices, which also impact interest in Prius.

Electric cars are becoming more viable, with the green geeks wanting the next new thing, I.e. Tesla. Hybrid is an old technology in comparison.

Prius is a go cart. It’s small, lots of road noise, and not nearly as comfortable as a big truck/SUV. With Toyota updating their entire lineup to include hybrid options, the interest in Prius is further eroded.

I’ve owned both a gen3 and gen4 Prius. The gen4 is the king of hybrids, at least as far as gas mileage is concerned. It’s an engineers delight to arrive home at the end of the day after a 40 mile commute with 80+ MPG on the instrument cluster. Then I drove the Camry SE hybrid and was awestruck by the comfort and quite.
I think Hybrids will still be the.... the hybrid of ICE and Electric. Hybrids may still use gas but that gas is mostly used to recharge the electric motor. Since Electric is all electric, it needs to get its charge from somewhere and that charge is not not going to be powered by some form of energy whether that is a nuclear powerplant, a coal-fired plant, a natural gas plant, or a hydroelectric plant. (I apologize I suck at terminologies). If I was forced to buy a hybrid or a electric, I would take the hybrid until the time electric cars are sold in mass and "everyone has one". Maintenance costs is perhaps one thing that people don't think about so unless you are the type of person who buys and trades a vehicle every two years, I suspect it will be on the high end for a while.

Think electronics on vehicles now are "bad", now make it fully electronic and enjoy that whole new game. Who knows, maybe the "art of working on your own vehicle" may die with the advent of electric vehicles.

·
straight cash homie
18,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Definitely right. More buyers want SUVs and crossovers. But also, the styling of the current Gen 4 didn't help its cause either with the eroding demand in cars in general. TBH, if I was forced into a hybrid car, I might prefer another make over the current Prius. With electric cars though, they are easily expendable. The first Nissan Leaf is pretty much a throw away as those that were on the road in 2011-12 are resold for around $10-11k on the low end. Even past Toyota hybrids aren't worth much more than regular ICE models (My dad had an TCH, and the trade-in wasn't all that great).

I agree, Tesla is the current rage. I know more than a few friends that got a Tesla Model 3, and having ridden in a few of them, there's a lot of things that do make it stand out, not to mention that the Model 3 is the Tesla for the masses since the Model S and X are higher priced.

The Corolla Hybrid stands to gain the most from any declining interest from the Prius, and more existing owners that do buy it again are going for the Prime, which would be the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,917 Posts
I won't be getting an electric car anytime soon. I don't want to search for a Toyota charging station, I don't want to search for a Chevy charging station, I don't want to search for a Tesla charging station. I also forgot about maintenance costs and just overall vehicle costs.
My number one reason is I don't want to incur the cost of replacing the traction battery after the warranty runs out. That happened to my sister with her Honda Civic Hybrid. Cost of ownership in a number of ways with Priuses and other hybrids is way too high IMO.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Does anyone here think a Tesla will be worth the cost of a battery replacement when it is 8 years old. I test drove a Prius in 2004 and asked them what a replacement battery and traction motor would cost.

$14,000, no labor or tax. That's more than an Echo cost new at that time. Always told people who came into my shop. If you are buying an old used car, get the simplest model you can find, that is the most reliable. Now my car is worth as much or more as a 2000 Prius. I still keep my eyes open for a low mileage 2004 + Prius, since a new battery is now $1600, but I just don;t trust the aftermarket replacements.

Remember the hype about MINH batteries lasting 30 years. The hybrids also need no maintenance.

My ex repair shop is still there and functioning almost 20 years later. At 19 years my Echo needs no battery or traction motor. I'd bet there are a thousand parts on the same era Prius that aren't on my Echo,

With some of the MPG numbers I read about in new Toyota cars (non hybrid) the advantage of the hybrid is rendered much less significant, when you consider the overall cost per mile. Now you can buy a Camry that comes close to the same average, but the complexity of the vehicles and the push for more efficient tech, leaves the customer with two bad choices if they want to see the kind of longevity they have become used to in their older cars like mine,

The Prius came along and changed the game as far as efficiency expectations. Will the new transmissions, engines, and other powertrains parts last beyond the 12 year average life expectancy of current cars. That life expectancy was 7 years when I started working on cars 50 years ago. I think you will see that trend reversing in the future.

I saw a Tesla model 3 on the local craig's list for $39k with 300 miles on the odometer. I'm no fan of their (Tesla's) attitude about repairs of any kind and I guess they figure the aftermarket deserves no consideration and should just vanish.

·
straight cash homie
18,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My ex repair shop is still there and functioning almost 20 years later. At 19 years my Echo needs no battery or traction motor. I'd bet there are a thousand parts on the same era Prius that aren't on my Echo,
Cars and buyers' desires ARE different these days than 20 years ago, when the Echo came out. To me, its easy to bash on technology but if Toyota still just made Echos, a lot of other car makers would've passed them already. They had to stop resting on their laurels to sell cars. The latest Yaris that wasn't made by Mazda was hardly a popular seller. Even then, the Echo wasn't the stellar selling car that they wanted it to be. Great on the used side obviously but buyers here cared more about price (Hence Nissan sold so many ugly Versas).

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,917 Posts

·
straight cash homie
18,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Tesla is a media darling, and to that end there are too many articles and "announcements" of its future success and the disappearance of its rivals.
Yup, but I also remember when Toyota was the darling back then too, but rivals won't go away. There will always be an upstart somewhere. Manufacturers still have scale as well. As long as affleunt and tech people buy them, Tesla will still be relevant until they're not. That's what catapulted the Prius into the spotlight, and it became the "Stuff White People Like" car that is synonymous with Obama and Co-Exist bumper stickers, which alone already made it hated in many parts of the country besides being a hybrid itself lol.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,917 Posts
what catapulted the Prius into the spotlight, and it became the "Stuff White People Like" car that is synonymous with Obama and Co-Exist bumper stickers, which alone already made it hated in many parts of the country besides being a hybrid itself lol.
In SoCal, 100% truth right there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts