Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Last year in October I replaced the sensor because the same error code on 2001 Camry LE.
This time its Coolant Thermostat. I bought the part and the gasket and was planning to work on
replacing it this Saturday. Last night I noticed "Check Engine" light was no longer ON!
All what changed since it came on about 2 weeks ago is that I filled up the gas tank and I've heard that the cap can
cause check engine light. I will still go ahead and replace it. If it comes on again do I remove follow procedure to reset "Check Engine" light or leave as it is for some time?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
☻Black Member
1,427 Posts
- you can use a reader to reset codes
- OR just let the ECU do it automatically after you replace the part..
- all depends on how you like to roll..

:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Replacing the thermostat on the 5SFE's is pretty straight forward. Ton's of YouTube vids. Buy your thermostat and gasket from Toyota, or at least a Stant 48278 or equivalent. Fight the temptation to buy a $5.00 thermostat. Orientate the jiggle valve at 12 o'clock when refitting to aide in bleeding the air out of the cooling system.

If you have the code(s) recorded you can clear the ECU/Check Engine light and certainly clear it after the repair to monitor for new or repeat DTCs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the replies and suggestions!

At some point when I was adding vehicle on Amazon.com I set it as V6 so when I was ordering
it said it will fit, once I removed my old one it was bigger in size :pat:
Since I had everything removed and radiator drained I went to the local auto parts
store and got this one.
I'm thinking to leave it in for now because it has this feature:
Only Fail-Safe® is designed to lock in the open position when overheating occurs due to a failing cooling system component. This allows maximum coolant flow, thus preventing expensive engine damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts