Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
my cousins 96 corolla threw this p0401 insufficient egr flow .... whats must be replaced? sensor or valve? thanks

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
Probably neither. EGR's frequently clog up from oil deposits. Remove and clean out all the crud and you should be able to make that code go away.

-SP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how would i remove it? plug and play? how many bolts and etc... thanks and lastly w what should i clean it? and how to reset check engine light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nvm took it out already... very simple..... its tight back there but its possible...... so i cleaned it i just sprayed it w brake cleaner had some in the garage at the moment and as for the modulator i plugged it in the in the compressor and it seemed as something came out cause at first air wouldnt go through after 3 seconds it did..... cleared the engine code..... lets see if this works.... THANKS!!!

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
Thats all it takes.... just a little maintenance. For better cleaning get some Berrymans carb cleaner. It dissolves the crud a LOT better than brake cleaner.

-SP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok the code came back....how do i clean it. do i spray it inside the 2 holes in the valve? and as for the modulator how do i know if its still working?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how to you test egr modulator? im a RN student have very little time on my hands....... i took old one out and hooked up compressor to it... and hardly any air came out....?

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
If you need hand holding more than whats revealed here I dont think you should be working on your car.

-SP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha ok.... hand holding..ok.... i swapped my old car went from a LS to a fully built h2b kit.... on a acura..... reason im asking cause my car doesnt have EGR. egr was only made to reduce performance and smog emissions....... but to continue my story went to a mechanic and 100 to diagnose the wrong part...... so im just going to replace the modulator and take it from there .
thanks toyota nation!!
ohs and here is a pic of my old celica b4 i bought an integra......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts