Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had code PO135 (Bank 1, sensor 1, Heater) on my 2000 Camry V6. I changed the sensor closest to the front of the car as you face the engine bay, as info I had said this was Bank 1, Sensor 1. However, I get the same code again a few days later. I had all stored codes cleared after I changed the sensor, but here it is again.

Can anyone confirm FOR SURE which sensor is Bank 1, Sensor 1 on a 2000 Camry V6?

Thanks

Larry

·
Insert Custom User Title
Camry
293 Posts
I've been having the same problem and have changed the same o2 sensor twice. At first I got the P0131 code (bank1 sensor1 low voltage?) but more recently I've still been getting the P0135. the B1S1 sensor is the one that is on the exhuast manifold near the radiator. If you get a haynes manual, it'll tell you the #1 sensor is for cyl. 1, 3, & 5 and the #2 sensor (behind the engine) is for cyl 2, 4, & 6. You've also got one further down the exhaust before the cat which is the bank 2 sensor 1.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's the sensor I changed. The one closest to the radiator. I used a Bosch sensor and soldered the wires quite well. Perhaps I should take it back and get the OEM sensor and harness, but it is almost 3 times the cost :(

I'm glad you confirmed that this is the correct location for Bank 1, Sensor 1. And, I assume you mean that the Haynes manual confirmed this.

Thanks

Larry

·
Insert Custom User Title
Camry
293 Posts
I've been using the universal bosche kit, and I think that's the problem. The sensor is still under warranty from the parts shop, so I'm probably gonna go to the dealer and pick one up and give the bosche back. All of the problems have been on that one sensor location, but I can't figure it out. The only reasonable solution that I've heard is that it may actually be the harness or the wires themselves. BTW just to save yourself some time, I know this is common knowledge, but remember, use some anti-seize otherwise getting the old one out and the new one in is gonna be a pain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
93camrytexas said:
02 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 on a v6 camry is the 02 sensor closest to the firewall (the rear one) i hope this info helps you
Thanks, but can you give me the reference for that, as I have been told that it is:

a. The one closest to the radiator.
b. The one closest to the firewall.

I have posted the this question on 3 different Toyota forums and gotten conflicting answers on all of them. Short of having a 2000 Toyota Camry V6 shop manual in hand, I don't know how to confirm this.

Thanks again

Larry

·
Insert Custom User Title
Camry
293 Posts
Your 2000 V6 has the 1MZ-FE engine, just like my 99, and according to the dealer and the haynes manual, the B1S1 is closest to the radiator. I don't know about the engine layout on a 93 camry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
csaxon said:
larryk it's the one behind the engine..I responded to you on the edmunds site.
I appreciate any response, and I don't want to dispute anyone, but you see my dilemma. I have 3 owners telling me it's the most forward one, and 3 telling me it's the rear one.

Unlike my other cars (Jaguar, Mazda) for which I have the factory service manuals to confirm things, I do not have one in this case.

Thanks again

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Toyota factory manual page EM 30. LF Exhaust manifold front facing you (radiator side) Heated oxygen sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1.
RH Exhaust manifold rear of engine firewall side Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. Page EM111 Exhaust system components in exhaust pipe after the cat converter is heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2.
I also checked an old Haynes manual Chap 6 page 6-5 shows a diagram of exhaust system and guess what? Heated oxygen sensor bank1 sensor1 is shown on the rear exhaust manifold just like the Toyota manual. You might be able to get a Haynes or something from the library. Good Luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
csaxon said:
Toyota factory manual page EM 30. LF Exhaust manifold front facing you (radiator side) Heated oxygen sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1.
RH Exhaust manifold rear of engine firewall side Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1. Page EM111 Exhaust system components in exhaust pipe after the cat converter is heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2.
I also checked an old Haynes manual Chap 6 page 6-5 shows a diagram of exhaust system and guess what? Heated oxygen sensor bank1 sensor1 is shown on the rear exhaust manifold just like the Toyota manual. You might be able to get a Haynes or something from the library. Good Luck.
Thanks for your efforts. That's exactly what I need to know.

Larry

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes it the sensor closet to they firewall. Bank one sensor one is the bank with the #1 cylinder. Sensor 2 is the post cat sensor, used to varify cat operation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, now that I have confirmation it's the one near the firewall, can someone tell me the best way to access it? I can't seem to see it. Can it be done from above, or must it be done from below?

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
The exhaust manifold contracts as it cools making the sensor difficult to remove. It's suggested to warm it up about 2 minutes before removal to loosen it. Raise the car, support it, protect your hands from burns, unplug sensor, carefully unscrew sensor from manifold. New sensor should have anti-seize coating but if using old one recoat with anti-seize compound. Install, reconnect, lower vehicle, test drive, verify no trouble codes set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks folks for the replies. I checked it out today from above and it *appears* a bit easier to get to from below. However, I couldn't tell if it was possible to get to the connector from below. Looks kinda tight ( natuarally) regardless of which way you go.

Either way, you have all been helpful.

I will be ordering the OE Bosch sensor tomorrow.

Larry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have having the same problem and have an O2 sensor on order. But I also had TRAC OFF light on just last weekend. I had an OBD II scan again and it still has two error codes saying bank 1 sensor 1 malfunction and heater circuit problem.
I don't know if they are related in any way.
btw. Someone said he had problem with Bosch OE type O2 sensor. I believe Denso is the OE part.
I wish I had a four-cylinder so the bank 1 sensor 1 would be the one right in front of me when the hood is open instead of the one underneath the car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
LARRYK-

Were you able to replace the O2 sensor? Did this correct your problem and turn off the CEL? Also, did the Bosch model work for you?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts