Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just found TN and love it
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my CEL on for a long time due to faulty O2 sensor. I never worried about it but now I have some other issues and would like to know what other codes i might have. I am looking to buy an obd2 reader but most say they work with cars from 1996 and later. My Avy book says it has obd2. So I have two questions. Will any code reader read my codes, will some of them , or none of them? Following that is there a really good code reader that works well on Toyotas for under 100 dollars, or should I look for something in the 200 dollar range? Any answers and recommendations are highly appreciated.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
16 Scion tC
19,660 Posts
I was looking at a couple on Amazon a few weeks back, and indeed most say "compatible with 1996 and up, and most 1995 vehicles with OBDII"

Price wise, they were all about the same... I would just look for reviews and see which has the better reviews in your price range... they can go from $20-200 easily depending on what they do.

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
524 Posts
If the book says it has OBDII, trust it; it was required Jan 1, 1996, but some had it a little early.
Readers for OBDII generic codes are all pretty much the same, if you have a smartphone, you can buy a "bluetooth" OBD reader on eBay or Amazon for well under $25. Then download "app" (application) named Torque: The free version reads OBD2 generic codes, & does a nice job; pay version [$10 or so] does all sorts of fancy footwork, or so I'm told.
There's also Toyota Techstream - Search here, on Amazon, and/or Google for more information on that.

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
If you just want to read & clear codes, the cheapies like riick mentioned work fine. That’s what I have. They’ll even check status of the system monitors, coolant temperature, monitor O2 sensors, and other things like that. If you’re going to use a smartphone to interface with it cordlessly, be aware they’re usually different for iPhones Vs Android based phones. There are also versions with a USB cable for connecting to laptops and notebook computers.

The more expensive ones are better at doing more complicated things like live-monitoring multiple sensors simultaneously. For most people just getting into it, the cheap ones are good enough. And they cost so little, if you decide to get a better one later, you haven’t wasted a lot of money.

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the helpful info I think I will go with a cheap one to start with. I like the idea of the ones that interface with the phone but I am leaning toward a standalone. That way I can kerp it in my car and if I am traveling, I do not have to depend on my phone. But it will depend on price and features!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went with the BAFX code reader...it seemed like a buy at only $21.99 on eBay. I read reviews on Amazon, what's different about this company is the excellent back up support and guarantee. I paired it with the Torque Pro App. There are other apps but I liked the features in Torque Pro. If you use this on more than one car, you set up a profile for each car. My friend has the free version, you can try the free version and get the pro if you need it.

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So funny

That you would suggest that, Chas. As I was looking into it, they had a flash sale on it for 12.00 dollars. I did not get it although I tried but I am on the waiting list. Thanks for the input!

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my code reader, and...

I realize now I did everything the opposite way I should have. My speedometer was not working and I was thinking this might have something to do with my tranny shifting a little roughly and unevenly. I changed the VSS and the Direct Clutch speed sensor which I suspected to be good since resistance checked out ok but changed them anyway. Of course, speedometer still does not work. Everything else in my dash works. So I will look for electrical problem now since my code reader is reading my speed confirming my sensors are working. I should have gotten a code reader first!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts