Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some questions, does anyone know if it's worth it and what the gains are for doing a CAI for a 2000 solara without the supercharger? I know if I added the Kazuma super charger the CAI would probably help a bit, but wondering if it's worth it without having the Super charger, other then the sound it would add. I already have a cat-back and notice some gains in the mid-range from it, so anyone have any thoughts if a CAI would be worth it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know about the only the cai part, but I did have a nice conversation with the TRD engineers and they said that replacing the stock box with a cai (this only applies if you have the SC) will max out the MAF and lean the engine

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Click Me!

CAI cause low-end loss. Minimal high end gains. 2-8hp at the wheels. It won't bring in air that is any colder than what your stock intake does.

(Eric, did I not send you a PM about "Link and Lock"?)

·
Current title:
253 Posts
holy shit these fucking honda people...ok granted the s2k is a nice ass car...but um "Hey listen to the awesome power of my intake bitches~!!" "TEMPLE OF VTEC FOREVER~!!!!!"

i can understand a minimal gain when switching to a ram intake system but the stock restrictive box netting more hp i dont think so

fyi...i will be starting the "HOUSE OF VVT-i" all toyotas welcome

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Ikon said:
i can understand a minimal gain when switching to a ram intake system but the stock restrictive box netting more hp i dont think so
Translate that for me?

Stock intake isn't restrictive. Only the filter is.

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
Ikon said:
i dont think the gain came from the intake itself.. its probably from other mods he's done to the car..
*note the throttle body coolant bypass on the dyno graph

·
Current title:
253 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Translate that for me?

Stock intake isn't restrictive. Only the filter is.
well my '95 had a crappy ass small little box which only allowed air that passed under my bumper through a tiny little hole past the crappy WWWWWW shaped paper restrictive filter then on to a rubber hose that also had more WWWW shapes breaking up the air flow further versus a nice aluminum tube which is polished on the inside providing for a smoother flow of air like ====== but that must just be my camry...urs must have came with a different more free flowing stock unrestrictive intake

·
Current title:
253 Posts
sorry im not sure if thats vague or not if it is ill draw a diagram in paint if u need it

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Ikon said:
sorry im not sure if thats vague or not if it is ill draw a diagram in paint if u need it
Whoa, don't break into tears. I couldn't figure it out due to the lack of sentence structure. I don't need an explination of your intake.

But your stock intake is fine. Just get a K&N filter. A short-ram or CAI will only cause low-end power loss. If you need proof, I have poster dyno results at least 5 times. The search button will lead your way.

CAI are a sales pitch people. Just like the new "Hemi". It's BS. They are basically selling you a better looking stock intake. But feel free to blow $200. I will continue laughing :lol:

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
I don't quite understand the loss of low-end power in a CAI.
The stock intake functions with the same principals, except the CAI just sucks in colder and more air.

By all means, I'd imagine the velocity of the air would help out in the low-end department more than the temperature would. However, since a CAI sucks at the same velocity (dependent on the TB) all the time, it shouldn't matter. Same goes for a RAM-intake, a RAM-intake of the same diameter tubing as a CAI should still be just as quick with throttle response.

I also read in an import tuner (yeah, I know, 'tuner mags') but it showed dyno graphs of what a CAI did, and while the gains were minimal, on the S2000, the AEM v2 posted 6-8whp gains in lower rpms, but a maximum hp gain of only 2 (in the peak of power-band).

While a CAI may not be the end-all of intakes, I rest assured that it's a worth-while mod, especially when going DIY.

I read K&N's intake section, which stated that an effcient filter will be wider than it is tall, so with this in mind, I bought the widest (and shortest) X-Stream flow K&N filter for my CAI.
The difference in their X-Stream flow filters is that they have a filter element over the top which allows air to be sucked in through the top, as well as the sides.

With a stubbier top and wider base, this should just add to the velocity that the air will travel at, through the top.

I dare say that the CFM increase from a stock-airbox to a conical filter should show power gains in itself, but the colder air should again logically be denser and maximize combustion, if anything, a short-ram would seem to make you run rich while a CAI would make you run a little lean.

·
Current title:
253 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Whoa, don't break into tears.

Just like the new "Hemi". It's BS.

They are basically selling you a better looking stock intake. But feel free to blow $200.

I will continue laughing :lol:
1) whoa there buddy whos getting ready to burst into tears here? I'm not the one getting defensive and try to insult a brother

2) yes the hemi is a load of shit...it is in no way related to the hemi of old

3) i could care less what a dyno tells u...conditions are different and each different type of dyno will tell a different tale...all i care about is how nice my intake sounds and smoking all those ghetto as civics...........( not the turbo charged ones....:rolleyes: )

4) damn right its better looking, less restrictive, sounding better..and no it wasnt 200

try 25 for a 3" aluminium pipe

the filter was free cause my cuz bought a stage 2 filter element from stillen for his maxima

2 - 3" dia adapters - 4 bucks at the homedepot plumbing section

8 for a breather filter

and about an hour and a half of diy

oh yeah not spending 200 on the same shit and learning how to do it myself and not reattach the maf backwards --- that shits priceless

keep laughing if u want

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
lol 3"?
imagine you drinking water (similar properties to air) from a glass or a bottle using a straw.. use one straw with smaller diameter and one straw with a big diameter.. which one will take less effort for u to suck in? of course the smaller one.. bigger diameter only means more volume.. and of course less pressure, which means the engine has to do more effort to suck the appropriate amount of air in.. and thats bad..

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
KoboChan said:
lol 3"?
imagine you drinking water (similar properties to air) from a glass or a bottle using a straw.. use one straw with smaller diameter and one straw with a big diameter.. which one will take less effort for u to suck in? of course the smaller one.. bigger diameter only means more volume.. and of course less pressure, which means the engine has to do more effort to suck the appropriate amount of air in.. and thats bad..
My educated guess would be this:
Loss of pressure would still allow the same amount of air in, it's just coming at less of a velocity, meaning you'll likely lose some power down-low.

Although, he has a 1mz, so that might not be the case.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
^good thing i saw this caus ei have 2.25in piping in mine and it seems to have no restrictions at all. but i made mine my self alsthe most expensive thing was the k&n filter and it has a 4" opening and the rest is 2.25 or whatever the diameter of the air flow meter is.:lol:
i did the throttle body bypass also :lol: i do it to all my cars even if it carbd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts