Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heat works fine when my truck warms up, but the problem is my truck doesn’t warm up that much. The heat starts to get warm when the temp gauge starts to go up, then:
(A) When it’s warm out, the temp gets up to normal and the heat is hot.
(B) When it’s cold out (not that it’s been that cold here in NY this winter), the temp just barely gets above the cold line on the temp gauge and doesn’t get any hotter, so my heat stays at just barely warm, instead of getting hot.
:confused:
Is there some way to get my engine up to normal temp when it’s cold out and have it stay there? It’s not like I’m talking sub zero temps here. This happens when it’s about 40 degrees out. I have a new radiator, the dual valve Toyota thermostat, and an electric fan that I set at 190 degrees.

Any suggestions would be warmly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
The boy ain't right
94 standard cab
72 Posts
You could do the old pizza box trick--shove some cardboard between the grille and the rad when it's super cold out...not really a fix though!

Seems strange. I have a similar setup (well, other than mine's a 22RE)--new rad, Toyota two-valve thermostat, and mine behaves as it should with good heat and no temp overshoot, regardless of temperature. Why do you have an electric fan? The only difference between yours and mine is that mine has the stock fan clutch. When it's cold out, mine is barely turning. Can you set it your fan to turn on at a higher temp?

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put the electric fan in over the summer because my fan clutch went kapootz. The electric fan doesn't come on until it starts to go over normal operating temp. So the fan isn't an issue cause it's not cooling the engine when it's cold out. The engine just insn't warming up much.

Is there anything I can do to actually fix the problem in stead of just utting some cardboard in there?

·
The boy ain't right
94 standard cab
72 Posts
If you're sure the fan isn't coming on when the engine isn't up to temp, than it almost sounds like a thermostat problem. When it's cold out, does it ever get up to temp, or does it stay at the cold end the whole time? Also, was the 2-valve T-stat standard on the 3VZ?

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if the dual valve thermo was standard or not. I know the fan isn't coming on early and the thermostat seems to be working properly because i ran it with the radiator cap off the other day to make sure there was no air in there and the coolant started to move only after the engine had warmed up (granted this is when it was almost 70 degrees out so the engine actually warmed up).

So the engine is not getting up to temp when it's cold out which equals no hot air coming out of the vents.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Cool fan could run all the time and should have little effect on the heat.

Start your engine from cold and observe the temperature of the top tank of the radiator.

If coolant is flowing through the radiator and warming it up as the engine is still warming up then the thermostat is allowing coolant to pass when it should not.

The top tank of the radiator should barely get warm until the coolant temp gets to 180degF or so then suddenly coolant should start flowing causing the rad to get hot fairly suddenly.

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Vic, I'll check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts