Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Camry LE
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the engine is cold, it stumbles upon ignition. That is, the RPMs drop really low and almost kill the engine before returning to a normal idle. In fact, it did die this morning. However, it will start up normally on a second try.

Does anyone have any ideas to begin diagnosing this problem? There is no service light or anything like that.

I have a 97 Camry V6.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Camry
16 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing before i did my timeing belt change along with a alternator and water pump change.

Things id check -
Water Temp Sensors (BC They check if the coolant is shivvery and then will rev your engine 1k-1.5k depending)
Idle Setting
You have a remote start on there? If so check that out too. My remote start once caused my car to die right after it started up because it thought i was hitting the break. Just had to reset it.

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
182 Posts
^That's what I would check too. I have a '97 LE with 61k miles and this problem has been with me for about 2 years. I just learned to live with it by applying a little throttle when starting the car. But I'm planning to get it replaced soon.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I second cleaning the idle air control valve. That is most likely your problem. While you are in there also clean the throttle body.

Mike

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Also maybe check your Cold Start Injector. If it wants to "die" on the first kick, but will start ok on the second, it could be that the CSI is "dribbling" fuel, and not giving enough on the first go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cleaning the IAC didn't help me, the key was lubricating it with a very small squirt of silicon spray. After spraying the IAC with silicon, cycle the IAC open and close manually.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
My mechanic has told me there is a common mechanical part that fails on toyotas. They ran out of them last year because so many failed. It has to do with the air/fuel mixture, how the engine is being flooded with too much fuel and not enough air until you press the gas and open up the flap.

But i forgot the name. He said it was over 100 bucks just for the part and it wasnt worth to fix. Just pump your gas pedal once or twice before a start and you should be fine. If it stumbles, gas it a tad and it should be fine. If not, then you should get it checked out. My car doesnt have that problem now after doing the pump then start method for about a month.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
noodlerooney said:
Cleaning the IAC didn't help me, the key was lubricating it with a very small squirt of silicon spray. After spraying the IAC with silicon, cycle the IAC open and close manually.
Noodle,

I'd probably try a non-silicone lubricant in there (maybe a little Tri-Flow or something). I found out the hard way ($$) that silicone and O2 sensors don't play well together.

·
Registered
86 Posts
IIRC, doesn't Tri-Flo contain Teflon, just as bad for the O2 sensors? After the carrier evaporates, the silicon seems to stay put very well, non-greasy, etc., I have not seen any evidence of the silicon migrating into the intake manifold, just don't overdo it and let the carrier evaporate completely before running engine. As always, attempt at your own risk... Digger1, what problem did you have using silicon?

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
noodlerooney said:
IIRC, doesn't Tri-Flo contain Teflon, just as bad for the O2 sensors? After the carrier evaporates, the silicon seems to stay put very well, non-greasy, etc., I have not seen any evidence of the silicon migrating into the intake manifold, just don't overdo it and let the carrier evaporate completely before running engine. As always, attempt at your own risk... Digger1, what problem did you have using silicon?
Hi Noodle,

A few years back, I had a Gen 1 Camry, an I-4. I was chasing a weird engine stumble and I took the cover off of the flapper-valve assy just downstream of the airbox. I used silicone-based sealant to seal the cover back into place after I'd cleaned the myriad contacts inside the valve assy.

About 500 miles later, I got a MIL indicating an O2 malfunction. I blamed the O2 malfunction on the use of silicone sealant in the intake area.

As far as Teflon causing a problem w/ O2 sensors, you may be right. I've never heard anything on that one way or the other. Can anyone else shed light on this subject?

Drive Safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where exactly are you supposed to spray the lubricant. I have the same problem with a low idle and I have cleaned inside of the throttle body and the little square just inside of the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. I am still idleing pretty low.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
lrmatthews said:
Where exactly are you supposed to spray the lubricant. I have the same problem with a low idle and I have cleaned inside of the throttle body and the little square just inside of the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. I am still idleing pretty low.

Spray the throttle body cleaner liberally inside that little square.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts