Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I’m new here and just purchased a 2002 Camry with 125k miles and when cold outside and engine is cold the engine idles very high and after a few seconds I start to hear a knocking noise. I’m assuming this is because the engine has just started and oil hasn’t lubricated the rod bearings yet. Has anyone experienced this issue? Is it an issue or should I just live with it?

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,286 Posts
Welcome to TN.

First question - which engine? The 4-cylinder or the 6-cylinder?

Can you determine where the knocking is coming from? That is, from the top of the engine, or from the bottom -- or front (which is the part with the moving belt, that is, facing the passenger side front fender well) or back?

After the cold start spin-up your oil is circulating, or it should be, and that would be before the knocking, at least in the scenario you describe. When you took possession of the Camry, did you immediately change the oil and filter?

Finding the source of the noise might be tricky. You'll probably have to ask someone else start it while you stand to the side with the hood up.

If you have a length of PVC pipe, you can aim it at on target with the pipe up against your ear. That way you can tell for sure which portion of the engine is the source of the sound. (Be careful around the accessory belt, keep the working end of the pipe definitely out of reach of the belt.)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another suggestion is while you're looking for the noise is to make a recording with your phone. You can share that as well which might allow others to help identify if the sounds are normal or not.

Mine (2.4L) will chatter a bit when it's cold upon first start but I believe that's the variable timing system. But a knock is something all together different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a video I took. You can hear a slight knocking noise. Is this normal? Should I just live with it? Or do I have to replace an entire rod bearing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One would never replace just a rod bearing. At that point you will be rebuilding or replacing the engine. Anything else would be a waste of time and money. Cheers!
Okay so good news..so I just did the rod knock test by turning the crankshaft until each piston just barely started doing the downward stroke and there was no play in any of the pistons. I’m assuming I can rule out rod bearing for the most part now?

·
Registered
03 Sequoia limited 4x4
99 Posts
Next step is to pull the valve cover and have a look around.

I suspect its a main bearing(s). :( Just hope that I am wrong for your sake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any updates?
So I took it by my buddies shop today..turns out it looks like the engine in my car is a used/remanufactured engine (I see yellow spray paint which normally indicates it came from a junkyard or something). The car drives fine and all yet my buddy agreed that it had a little engine noise internally. Clutch is new so I think I’m just gonna live with it. It isn’t loud at all. I’ll change the oil every 3k miles and see how long she goes. I did fix the high idle though by cleaning funk out of the throttle body. Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry XLE
20 Posts
Thanks for the update. Glad it couldn’t be any worse. I will be changing out spark plugs and Pc valve on my Camry 05 soon. Hopefully reduces engine vibration.

·
Registered
03 Sequoia limited 4x4
99 Posts
It sounds like a newish knock. Just listen for it to get louder.

If it's a main you might be able to fix it by dropping the pan?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
my 2002 oil burner 2az-fe with 239k miles used to make rattle sound at certain rpm, after i swapped with an used plastic intake manifold a week ago,the rattle noise from intake area seem to be gone.

i was under the impression timing chain engine always make louder knocking noise than the timing belt engine.
here is the clip from my engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts