Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All day it's been around -20 to -25 degrees celsuis here and this morning, when i left for work, i started my truck and it knocked for the first 7-8 mins. Pretty much until the temp guage started to move. It also did it 2 other times today too, all three were dead cold starts.

My dad's silverado only knocks in cold weather for about ten seconds after a cold start. I would assume it's piston slap, but mine seems to go on forever. This is the first time it's happened since i bought the truck and was just wondereing if it was normal. It's an 05 4cyl 5 speed 5-lug access cab. This has been a mild winter so far(0 to -10 C) and this was our first really cold day. Anyone else notice this, or is it another odd-ball case for my truck.

On a side note.... has anybody had their check engine light come on for an o2 sensor?

·
Registered
441 Posts
do you think synthetic oil would help in colder weather$$

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
That doesn't sound good.
I've not ever had that except for my pc o' [email protected] 1984 Ford Ranger.
(FWIW, for a while in the 1980s, Motorcraft had prblms w/ anti-drain back valves failing to seal. This would allow the filter and galleries to all drain back into the engine, resulting in oil starvation at startup.)

Do you have a good quality filter on there?
Are you using 5w30 or some other grade of oil?
Have you added some aftermarket "oil treatment" (argh) like STP?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the oil and filter are toyota stuff. they changed the oil the day i bought it and i've only put 4000kms(2500 miles) on it so far.

no offence msibille, but i can see why you wouldn't have this problem... you live in louisiana.
I've never been there but i kinda doubt you guys ever see -25 C (-13F) temps. Not trying to be a smart ass or flame, just pointing it out.

·
I'm 1 in Southern Ont.
61 Posts
I dont have the knock, but I am in S-W Ontario. It was about -8 here this morning and my fan on my heater made this crazy sqeeky sound for about 30 seconds when I went to work this morning. Kind of annoying, but it stopped by the time I scraped the windows.

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
gasgas300 said:
the oil and filter are toyota stuff. they changed the oil the day i bought it and i've only put 4000kms(2500 miles) on it so far.

no offence msibille, but i can see why you wouldn't have this problem... you live in louisiana.
I've never been there but i kinda doubt you guys ever see -25 C (-13F) temps. Not trying to be a smart ass or flame, just pointing it out.
No offense taken -certainly a valid point for your northern bretheren to discuss. (OTOH, I do travel a bit for work and by luck or otherwise, have never experienced that in cars I've borrowed from our bases or rentals. Still, I concede I've never had regular use in frigid conditions.) I just thought you should look at the basic items first.

Just from an engineering point of view, noise often equates to wear, and if it is poor lubrication for 7 or 8 minutes -that's a heck of lot of time. Each engine is just a little different, and it could be engine piston slap that is unnoticeable at moderate temps and gosh awful at low temps -but I'd be concerned all the same.

Have you spoken to the dealer svc dept? Also - just because the dealer changed the oil/filter- that's no guarantee you have the right stuff. I was shocked to learn that our Honda svc dept used a different grade of oil, based on "their experience", unless the owner specified using what the manual, the sticker, and the oil fill cap specified. Troubleshooting goes easiest if you check the simplest and the easiest first.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the responces guys:thumbup:.
it only really happens below -15 C. it did it this morning(-17) but not after work(-10).
i have an appointment at a different dealer tomorrow for another issue, i'll mention it to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live in san diego and just last week i was up at Mammoth Mtn. It was snowing and it was about -2-3 degrees outside. Cold enough to freeze the unopened soda cans i left in the truck and exploded everywhere:clap: ...anyway my truck would startup a little slow and then finally idle. But it did knock for about 5 seconds then go away. My assumption was the oil has to travel everywhere in the motor and since it was literally freezin outside it just took 5 seconds to finally travel through the passages.

I have mobil 1 5w30 synthetic oil in mine. But 7-8 minutes of knock is way to long. I say bring it back to the dealer.

06 4x4 V6 6MT

DAVID

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same truck 4 cyl 5 spd access cab 2005 I now have 108000 km. on it no knock even at -30 C. I just get a clutch pedal that is very slow to come up at these temps. Truck has had no problems yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts