Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1995 toyota 4 runner and i am having cold start issues, when i try to start it when it is cold, i turn the key and 1 click and nothing, it takes several tries for it to start, once it is warmed up, it starts just fine, i replaced the battery, the wires to the starter are fine as is the starter, i am wondering if it is something in the ignition? any suggestions

·
13,464 Posts
Welcome to the forums! :)

How many miles on yer 4Runner? Any maintenance performed prior to this issue? What do you mean by one click (starter click)? You say that the starter is fine, has it been replaced or worked on recently?

Usually when you turn the ignition key and all you git is a "click", it's the starter contacts that have been worn down and no longer making contact to send power to the starter motor. This has been labeled the "click of death". The starter contacts can be replace fairly easily once you git the starter removed. The parts can be found on the web or at yer local auto parts store as well as at the dealership. The parts store should cost about $15 or so. Dealership will probably be close to $30.

https://www.google.com/search?q=worn+toyota+starter+contacts

1 - 2 of 2 Posts