Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently picked up a 93 4cyl pickup with 107k on it. We test drove the pickup at close 0 and it fired right up. For about the last 3 weeks when it is cold it we will have to try to start it three or four times before it will turn over. When we try to start it, it will try to turn over but will not start. Many times it will chug as we try to start it and will then die. When it does start it is a little slugish and rpms are about 700 and then a few seconds later it will kick up to 1500.

When it is trying to start it almost acts like an old carburated engine that is not getting fuel. I have recently changed the plugs, cap, rotor and plug wires. The battery is currently showing 12.5 volts at roughly 30 degrees outside. The battery is dated December 2002. I think this is a little low for voltage but don't know if it is my problem or not. After it starts the first time and it does not sit long it starts fine. But the first start in the morning is always slow with a fear of it not starting. The check engine light is not on so I have not seen a reason to check codes. The radiator has a small leak so I know the coolant level is a little low. Any ideas or suggestions will be helpful. I am not sure where to begin the battery terminals seem to be clean.

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
I still suspect the battery. Have it load tested. If you have an Autozone handy, they'll do it for free. If not, I think Pep Boys does it, but they might charge.

I just changed the battery in my truck couple weeks ago. Bought one at Autozone, but the terminals were too small, and the battery cables wouldn't tighten on them. Thier answer? Get some shim stock - or stick a paper clip inbetween! My answer? Return the battery (had to make a stink), and get one from the Toyota Dealer. Only $3 more, and no worry about how it fits. Turns out it had a longer warrenty, too! Dang Toy' stealership surprised me on that one!

:smokin:

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Arved,

I like that!

NOTE TO SELF: Next time you need a battery, check on Toyota dealer prices.

The OEM battery that came with my truck (a Panasonic) lasted over nine years!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts