Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2002 RAV4, 2-wheel drive has an automatic trans that won't shift into high [or maybe overdrive] when the engine is cold. at 50 MPH the tach reads 3500+ RPM, but it won't upshift even if i let up on the gas. is this normal? i've only had the car since last spring.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Many Toyota’s have a lockout on the O/D until the coolant temp rises above a set point. If shifting is OK when the coolant warm, this may be the issue.

·
Registered
1986 toyota camry
119 Posts
toyomoho said:
Many Toyota’s have a lockout on the O/D until the coolant temp rises above a set point. If shifting is OK when the coolant warm, this may be the issue.
This is the case on the camrys, on my '84 it doesn't shift to OD til the water temp hits 50 degrees C

·
MattB
2002 RAV4
5 Posts
I got a 2002 4WD RAV in December & live in the (now) cold Northeast. It defeinitely needs a few minutes to warmup & hift to OD.

Tell me ... shouldn't the transmisson slip into neutral or a pseudo-neutral when going down significant hills? Mine does not.

MB

·
Registered
99 Rav4 AWD
89 Posts
engolfed said:
Tell me ... shouldn't the transmisson slip into neutral or a pseudo-neutral when going down significant hills? Mine does not.

MB
Why would it ???
You use the engine braking to prevent increasing the speed when going down a hill.

·
MattB
2002 RAV4
5 Posts
golfer said:
Why would it ???
You use the engine braking to prevent increasing the speed when going down a hill.
I'm pretty that sure you mean "engine" speed ... right?

This is the first of many cars that I've owned & driven that doesn't slip into a "neutral" position going down a steep hill. These include Ford, Pontiac, Chevy, Subaru, right now a 1998 Toyota Sienna & others that I have rented over the last 30+ years.

If I want to use the engine braking - like now in snowy weather - then I turn off the O/D (it works very well in the RAV4 & Sienna). What if I don't want to use the engine braking? I shouldn't have to slide the shifter into neutral (& I wouldn't want to).

All I think this is doing is wasting gas.

MB

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you don't put it in neutral with the shifter it stays in gear on any transmission currently in use. Please read your owner's manual, this information is in it.

·
Registered
99 Rav4 AWD
89 Posts
engolfed said:
I'm pretty that sure you mean "engine" speed ... right?

MB
No... I mean the vehicle speed.
If the transmission was in neutral you would end up going faster than the speed you were at.

Btw... like toyotechwv said.

·
MattB
2002 RAV4
5 Posts
Yes, you are right. I guess I mean overdrive or super-overdrive or a pseudo-neutral. When I am going down a particular hill near work @ 50 MPH the tach is at 2,500 in the RAV4. The engine slips into O/D after cresting the hill & looks like it will decrease even more but something kicks in & grabs, preventing the engine from dropping even more. (I'm not a speed demon & it would only get up to ~ 60 MPH if it could. I've been driving this hill for 17 yrs)

In my 1998 Sienna the engine will drop below 2,500 PRM to ~1,500 on the same hill. You can feel the difference (which is why I bring it up).

Engine braking is one thing when it's desired. For a dangerous hill I can touch the brakes then torque converter kicks in the engine braking. If I turn off the O/D I get the same effect.

I'm, trying to determine why won't this RAV4 drop the RPM down below 2,000 & if it needs an adjustment.

MB

·
MattB
2002 RAV4
5 Posts
engolfed said:
Yes, you are right. I guess I mean overdrive or super-overdrive or a pseudo-neutral. When I am going down a particular hill near work @ 50 MPH the tach is at 2,500 in the RAV4.
Sorry - that's a typo. 2,500 RPM @ 60 MPH but 2,000 @ 50 MPH.

So, do you goys know what I'm referring to with the engine getting to lower RPM's & not braking "for me?"

MB

·
Registered
Tacoma, Rav4
13 Posts
I know this is an old post but it does not seem that the original question was resolved.
I have a 97 fwd, it does not like to shift to od sometimes. If i let of the pedal it will shift. It will sit there in 3rd sometimes at 32-3300 which is about 63-64mph in 3rd. If i let off drasticly it will finally shift. I also have another issue that could have something to do with all of this, here me out on this one. I just bought the vehicle and left the house the other morning, it was -8F, i let the rav warm up for about 20min, when i got in it was better than the outside temp but by know means warm. As i drove the temp guage warmed up to almost half way. Still no great heat, warm but not hot. Finally 18 miles down the road and 20 min warm up i had better heat. Looked at the thermostat, it has one, which i was surprised and it was a 180F. looked good, not stuck open. I flushed system every thing seems ok. Still it takes a good long while to get much heat. So point is if by chance i am not actually getting to temp, i am not ever hardly building enough heat to make the tranny shift well. Just a thought.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on either of my issues.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
97 rav4
157 Posts
"If i let of the pedal it will shift"
This bothers me, I have had a few of toyota autos and all the older they get the warmer they have to be to go into OD but has always been either it will shift or not.
There is some kind of selenold,vacuum or eletric that works the OD but do not know any more than that. Have you looked and smelt your trans fluid?
The heaters in the 4.1 is not the best and heater core maybe got clogged a little threw out the years,not enough to replace but adds to cold heater.
If its 25-30 or so outside I have to run mine on high for a good while,remember to set it on recirulate not outside air.
Maybe someone else knows more about how OD shifting works?

·
Registered
Tacoma, Rav4
13 Posts
Tranny shift

"If i let of the pedal it will shift"
This bothers me, I have had a few of toyota autos and all the older they get the warmer they have to be to go into OD but has always been either it will shift or not.
There is some kind of selenold,vacuum or eletric that works the OD but do not know any more than that. Have you looked and smelt your trans fluid?
The heaters in the 4.1 is not the best and heater core maybe got clogged a little threw out the years,not enough to replace but adds to cold heater.
If its 25-30 or so outside I have to run mine on high for a good while,remember to set it on recirulate not outside air.
Maybe someone else knows more about how OD shifting works?

Tranny Fluid is pink, not burnt, in good shape. Flushed the heater core out with some presure behind it, there is no restriction there. if it is 25-30 my heater works great, its the 6-8 below that it does not work great. Yes i do use recirc. I checked the temps at various places this morning with one of the laser units. Thermostat housing was running in the 180 to 190 range, heater core input was 160ish, top of rad was 170ish. I had great hot heat this morning but it is 30F. The tranny shifted great.

One question i have is where everybody elses temp guage sits normally, mine sits a little below half.
:headbang:

·
Registered
97 rav4
157 Posts
"mine sits a little below"
This would keep heat temp lower.
Do you know of any other RAV4s that you can use your temp sensor on?
If theres is hotter change your thermastat.
Used to put card board in front of radiator but on the RAV4 I think trans cooler is there so that will not work.
I wish I knew what sensor or what ever it is that keeps trans from going into OD before it gets warm.
I do know the more miles on a toyota the longer it will take to go into OD.

·
Registered
Tacoma, Rav4
13 Posts
I am going to change the thermostat, i looked at it and it has been replaced but it might be a cheapo and not opening or closing at the right temps, the heater situation is not right and i know the heater core is flowing nicely. So this tells me that something is not right:headbang:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts