Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 4th gens,

89 celica gts Had alot of trouble starting up especially when it was cold last winter so eventually I found out about this cold start injector time switch any body out there had this problem
the damn switch cost 150 dollars unreal.. wonder if there is
a way to get around this problem the switch grounds the cold start injector. any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
The cold injector only suppose to spray when its starting. As soon as coolant warm up, it'll stop. I believe you can get one from any 3S, 5S engine, GE and FE. I got a few last time I went there.
If you put a ohm meter across the switch, it'll show resistance. If you put it in hot water, it'll show different resistant. If it doesn't change, 0 ohm or open circuit then its broken.
Hard start may be battery or other ignition problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now the car starts up fine last winter gave me alot of trouble so I assumed it had something to do with the cold start injector. I checked the resistance to the cold start and it was ok.

There isnt any helpful info about the time switch in the books I have chilton and Haynes ,sucks so Im looking for a factory service manual also.

thanks for your input.. Ill post a reply if I can correct the problem right now its summer time so I have a few months. hope u have a good summer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey I ran ohm on the time switch like you suggested
After the car was shut off for a few hours and it read 4.3
then I tried it in the morning after sitting all night and read 1.8
what does your bood say

:D

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
20-40 ohm when cold.
40-60 ohm when hot, right after you shut off the car.

From the reading you got, its the coolant temp sensor you checked:p: Don't remember the excet plug, its green or brown.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nah i checked the right one :D
green one is the water temp sensor its to the right
then comes the time switch then comes the water temp sender
its for the gauge on the dash :thumbup:

set the ohm on 200 and checked it with the engine off both times
cold and hot then I checked it with the engine running and got no reading on the ohm .

hey I got toyota celica 88 factory service manual on ebay now
ill try to sell chilton haynes :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.