Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Cressida
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going. My car is a very rough paint surface. I have a peral white Cressida and I dont think the previous owner took care of the paint, don't get me wrong the paint and body is in good condition and shines, but not like it should. I run my hand againts the paint and some sections feel smooth wherase other are very rough almost like rubbing against sand. The front and rear bumpers appear to be faded as well with the same texture feel. I can't tell if its overspray or dirt/grime. The reason I think overspray is when I park under a street lite I can tell that a section of the hood has nicer smooth shine to it then the rest of the hood. My question is this. Will the clay bar remove this sandy like substance even if its overspray? I also considered taking the car to have it color sanded to bring the shine out. I've done this on another car but as you can imagine its expensive. Will I get the same results or close by using a clay bar myself??
Thanks!

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Got any pics? How old is the car?

I'd certainly try clay bar first, and some polish. It can work miracles.

Clay can remove overspray. Polish can also remove overspray if the Clay bar doesn't get all of it.

·
Registered
1990 Cressida
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PB,

I will take your advice and try the clay bar and polish first. I'll pickup the Mother's clay bar product tonight and prepare for my project on Saturday. Hopefully by then I will be able to post some pics of my Cressida.

·
Registered
1990 Cressida
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i bought a clay bar and detailing lubricant and got to work on my Cressida. Wow!!!!! What a difference. Looks real nice and clean. Now I need to find a good alloy wheel rim clean. My rims weren't taken care and are in poor condition. I've been us 3M alloy rim cleaner but its just okay. Has anyone tried the Mother's ball cleaner for rims? Is it worth the $25 bucks it cost.

·
Registered
1990 Cressida
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention that I polished it with a product called Zymol. I've heard some good comments about this polish, and I was happy with the result.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I forgot to mention that I polished it with a product called Zymol. I've heard some good comments about this polish, and I was happy with the result.
What kind of Zymol? Zymol makes lots of different detailing products.

·
'94 Camry V6/'02 Sequoia
'94 Camry/'02 Sequoi
276 Posts
well, i bought a clay bar and detailing lubricant and got to work on my Cressida. Wow!!!!! What a difference. Looks real nice and clean. Now I need to find a good alloy wheel rim clean. My rims weren't taken care and are in poor condition. I've been us 3M alloy rim cleaner but its just okay. Has anyone tried the Mother's ball cleaner for rims? Is it worth the $25 bucks it cost.
If your time is worth anything, the PowerBall can be a real timesaver, but only if the wheels are polishable. So if you'd polish by hand, you generally can polish with a PowerBall or PowerBall Mini. If you're near a Wal-Mart, you can get the ones for your wheels (also handy for headlights) for under 20 bucks.

Remember that Bare "alloy" can be polished using a metal polish, such as the PowerMetal or Mag & Aluminum Polish by Mothers, or you can use just about any polish appropriate for the job, so long as it has some lubricity to it.

If you have factory "alloy" wheels, they are coated with something akin to your paint's clearcoat, and you can polish with a cleaner wax or plastic polish.

Bottom line, be sure you use the right polish for the surface you're polishing, not what the wheels are made of.

I should add that polishing is different than cleaning -- your wheels should be clean before you polish them, and I've had good luck with the Mothers wheel cleaners or the Eagle One All Wheel & Tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts