Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 1997 F-150 offroad 4wd, before I purchased my TRD Prerunner V-6 4 door and like the Toytoa lots better than the Ford. What do others think of the TACO vs. the F-150 on quality and resale value...

Primey

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
When I dropped of my Taco for Permaplating at the dealer, Enterpise handed me a 2005 F-150. It was a quad cab with 4x4.

I have to say I love how the F-150 drives. VERY car like. Smooth and commanding. It felt like a damn car. It had 15000 miles on it. I did not hear a single rattle or noise, even over big bumps and such. I was REALLY impressed. I was pissed that I didn't take a look at those before I bought the TACO.

The F-150 was slow as hell though. With exhaust and intake I am sure that would have been fixed.

Ford blows overall though. My local Ford dealer was exceptional though when I had a 2003 GT Stang. They did excellent service on the car everytime.

Resale value is probably bad. All American cars blow in that category.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I own a 2002 F150 Lariat w/ 20,000 original miles.It's very pleasant . I use it for special occasions and trips. I dont really enjoy driving it on a daily basis though---TOO BIG! I despise the new Toyota pickup line however, and would never buy a toyota truck post '05 production. I am looking for a replacemant truck for my 'beloved and trustworthy but long in the tooth '89 Hi-Lux. Its gonna be damned hard to find a mint used extra cab w/ standard transmission with low miles and original owner- thats pre-"05, but I am starting to look.

·
Registered
257 Posts
My F150 was great until about 40k miles. At that time everything started going, at 50k I was about to blow a spark plug, I traded it in on a 03 Ram 2500 which to this day has still been the best truck I have owned. The things I hated about the F150 were the weak frame that flexed easily and the lack of power in the 5.4 . The Dodge's initial quality was better then my Taco and its still my favorite vehicle. It has never been to the dealer in 60k miles and I never even had to balance the original tires which are still on the truck. But it being a 2500 it wasnt the greatest truck to drive everyday so I got the 2005 Taco DC 4x4 for a daily driver. My Tacoma has been to the dealer for numerous small issues that really annoy me that they either say is normal or they cannot duplicate. Ill probably replace this truck in 2 years but no idea at this time what Ill get.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ive had one f150 for about a year and will never own another as long as i live. Ive owned a few toyota trucks and this one is my favorite yet. Thats about all I have.

·
WAX museum.
2005 Tacoma
1,390 Posts
apples and oranges.

maybe a better comparison could be made with a Tundra.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Traded in my 04 F-150 on my DC Taco. There are things I like and dislike about both trucks. The Taco is faster but the Ford sounded a heck of a lot better. The Ford was WAY roomier inside and felt very solid. The Ford had a HUGE bed that I rarely used all of. Taco handles better but Ford had a smoother and quieter ride. Like 55reasons said: Apples and oranges.

If I had the money, I'd have one of each but seeing as I don't...I'll stick with the Taco.

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Have you test driven the new F150? You absolutely CAN NOT see whats directly behind you when you're backing up... the tailgate is just too damn tall to see. The window ledge makes a horrible arm rest because your arm sits way too high to be comfortable.

Another reason I like a truck is that on occasion, me and my buds stand around the bed drinking a beer and shooting the shit. I'm 5'10" and doing that on the new F150 is all but impossible because they just had to have the biggest (deepest) bed on the market. The bed rails are way too high... even just to throw stuff over the rail into it (God forbid if you ever raised it or put bigger tires on it).

And my final gripe was that even with the 5.4 liter, it felt like it would be a challenge to out accelerate a Toyota Prius. They made that S.O.B. so big and heavy, it really needs a diesel to make it work properly. For some reason Ford seems to think that if they keep building bigger every model year, they can use that as a marketing tool and people will keep on buying. But damn, how big of a truck do most people really need.

edit... Tacoma all the way.

·
MMM TACO
06 Tacoma
581 Posts
i test drove a 02 150 4x4 double cab supercrew i think is what it was, anyways i hated it, i didnt like the interior, i didnt like the ride, i really didnt like anything about the truck, i pulled it out of the lot and told the guy, ok thats enough.

·
Registered
456 Posts
this decision is simple. toyota = quality and reliability. ford produces inferior products.

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
A friend of mine was looking for a truck in 04 and we test drove a ford f-150. I was'nt all that impressed with it. He ended up buying a Tundra and he let me drive it. I was pretty impressed with the power and the handling of the Tundra. The Tundra seemed more responsive on the handling , the acceleration and the braking. The fords front end chattered and pulled to the right when stopping.

·
Registered
348 Posts
a good friend of mine has a new f-150. Its a nice truck, has leather, sunroof, heated seats, climate control, etc. But they are kinda pricey and have horrible resale value. They also get pretty crappy gas mileage and don't feel as peppy as the taco. Personally I like my taco better. It was cheaper, better gas mileage, better resale value and easier to drive around.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A low resale lets you know the true value of the f 150 once it leaves the dealership. How can the vehicle be worth so much new and worth so little one year later? b/c it's built ford tough. ;)

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
personally, I like the Tacoma's better. Smaller in size, better gas mileage, cheaper on aftermarket parts and the Tacoma's simply look better IMO. And coming from a Ford last go around, I will never go back to Ford. My love for Toyota's has gotten alot stronger since the purchase of my Tacoma.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The trade in I got on my 04 Lightning was almost $5k more than people on f-150 forums were willing to pay. That was a main reason that I traded in my Lightning was because the resale value was starting to go way down with employee pricing and high gas prices. So please Toyota, no employee pricing! (well maybe when I go shop for a new truck in the future) ;)

·
MMM TACO
06 Tacoma
581 Posts
ya the employee pricing screwed everyone that owned a ford or chevy, they couldnt get much for their trade because the price of a new car was almost the same as a used.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts