Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=119281/pageId=118239#48

1st Place, of course, goes to

Power on wheels:

On the chassis dyno, the Tundra rocks above 5,000 rpm, though the Titan keeps up admirably up to that point. The Silverado's power wasn't as strong as we expected. The big jump in power at 5,650 rpm indicates the engine's calibration switch to open-loop, fuel-rich running to achieve Chevy's advertised power. Below 5,650 rpm, it's in closed-loop. You get 4 seconds of closed-loop operation every time the throttle's floored in the Silverado.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
lovely.

why dont they test out the ford?
i just saw two commercials about ford bragging that their number 1 for trucks and stuff...so i was thinking this will be their last year as #1 with the tundra now on the scene.

but damn, vehicles are getting massive. My camry aint small but i'm getting pretty scared driving on the roads.

·
Research is Your Friend!!
2006 GTO
850 Posts
two things:

First, the the 4 second "delay" is not present when the "tow/haul" button is pushed (located on the gear shift lever). This feature (and I beleive the Tundra has it as well) hold shifts longer and changes the fuel spark curve to allow for better towing ability. My truck is like a new animal when this button is pushed. I wish Edmunds would have enabled this feature to allow a true reading of the Silverado's power output.

Second, the 4 second "delay" can be removed via a hand held programmer. These are fairly expensive (~$250-$300), but once again, it allows the truck to stay in the open looped calibration for full power potential.

Anyhow, no doubt the Tundra's 5.7 liter is a beast. Kudo's to Toyota for coming to market with such a powerful engine, right out of the gate. . . .

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
:clap:

............ and that is all I am going to say...Nothing I can say now that can flip off the domestic fanboys.. sorry... "GENERAL automobile enthusiasts" on this board...

AWESOME............ :thumbup:

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
nodrogkam said:
lovely.

why dont they test out the ford?
i just saw two commercials about ford bragging that their number 1 for trucks and stuff...so i was thinking this will be their last year as #1 with the tundra now on the scene.
I was wondering about the Ford also, but the Tundra still would have beaten it anyways. As for Ford, barring anything drastic they should be number one in sales with Chevy second. I believe that Toyota can only produce 200,000 Tundras next year.

·
Registered
735 Posts
^I believe they were basically comparing the Silverado and Tundra (the two new models for '07) and they threw in the Titan because it won in their last truck comparison, which was 3 years ago, just to compare how the new trucks compared to the winner from 3 years ago.

Congrats to the 'Yota. I'm interested to see pricing and how well it sells.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Tundra has the best FE too! Funny that Edmunds didn't list Silverado FE from the same test. Instead they used its long term results! They gave a hint (a best tank of 14.2), though. :)

The Titan averaged 13.7 mpg during its stay with us, with a best tank of 15.1 mpg. Despite its extra grunt and weight, the Tundra averaged 14.4 mpg, with a best tank of 16.9 mpg. EPA estimates are 13 mpg city, 18 mpg highway for the Titan and 14 mpg city, 18 mpg highway for the Tundra.

Since our Silverado is a long-term test truck, we have a larger sample size from which to cull fuel economy data. The picture is not pretty. Over 5,436 miles, the Chevy has averaged 12.7 mpg with a best tank of 14.2 mpg. Of the three trucks, the Silverado's performance is the furthest from its EPA rating of 15 mpg city, 19 mpg highway.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Wow - that's a pretty significant drop off for the Titan above 5000 rpm. The Chevy's contrasting spike isn't that much better. Nice even, consistent power - nice work Tundra!

·
Registered
47 Posts
looking at the final scoring, the silverado won everything except one category, and that was speed/performance (even though the silvy had a better slalom). they also didnt test towing and hauling capabilities, which is weird since these are trucks and thats what they are used for. but also looking at those numbers, the silverado does haul more and tow more than the tundra in this setup. and that 4second loop thing is BS, granted its designed into it, but all that you had to do was press tow/haul (for the tundra too) and you would get the expected performance. the tundra was also a preproduction model, meaning that it could very well be something that wont be found in dealerships and there was no pricing comparison (thats big for some people), the silverado also has a much better warranty- again overlooked. and not to mention the whole test was subjective.

no matter the winner, this was not a good comparison overall.
congrats toyota tho, i guess, for winning a comparison that edmunds wanted them to win.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chakis24 said:
looking at the final scoring, the silverado won everything except one category, and that was speed/performance (even though the silvy had a better slalom). they also didnt test towing and hauling capabilities, which is weird since these are trucks and thats what they are used for. but also looking at those numbers, the silverado does haul more and tow more than the tundra in this setup. and that 4second loop thing is BS, granted its designed into it, but all that you had to do was press tow/haul (for the tundra too) and you would get the expected performance. the tundra was also a preproduction model, meaning that it could very well be something that wont be found in dealerships and there was no pricing comparison (thats big for some people), the silverado also has a much better warranty- again overlooked. and not to mention the whole test was subjective.

no matter the winner, this was not a good comparison overall.
congrats toyota tho, i guess, for winning a comparison that edmunds wanted them to win.
Did you mean that Tundra could have been tuned up the power but Edmunds drove it gently to get the fastest acceleration and the best fuel economy?

But Edmunds pointed out two facts on Silverado: both power delivered on wheels and the real life fuel economy are not as good as indicated on paper.

Other reviews have stated Tundra can tow 8,000lb like (almost) nothing.

Yeah, on paper, Ford just said F150 can tow 11,000lb, too.

As a truck, this why Tundra wins:

t comes down to utility, though, and the 1st-place 2007 Toyota Tundra simply offers more of it. No matter what we threw at it, the Tundra never blinked. It's almost as though Toyota built a 3/4-ton truck and honed it for half-ton duty, such is its unburstable nature. You pay for the Toyota's proficiency with a stiffer ride than the Silverado, but the payoff is the most capable half-ton truck on the market.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
:cool:

i don't quite agree with the dyno testing being a measure of truck capability/performance though. you're just looking at... a line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
BEI said:
Did you mean that Tundra could have been tuned up the power but Edmunds drove it gently to get the fastest acceleration and the best fuel economy?

But Edmunds pointed out two facts on Silverado: both power delivered on wheels and the real life fuel economy are not as good as indicated on paper.

Other reviews have stated Tundra can tow 8,000lb like (almost) nothing.

Yeah, on paper, Ford just said F150 can tow 11,000lb, too.

As a truck, this why Tundra wins:
no, i mean that all you have to do is enable tow/haul mode (on both the tundra and the silvy) and the silverado will have the expected hp and torque curves. they talk about a 4second loop in the engine computer. they say gm made it so that you have to floor it for 4 seconds to get all of the power from the engine (why they do this i dont know but they did). to disable that, you simply engage tow/haul mode and voila, all 367 horses.

they also took theyre information on mpg from there long-term test vehicle- who knows how that was driven, if it was equipped the same way, it was the same engine, if it was 4x4, to many ifs there.

that quote is false and uneducated simply because of this: how can you detemine this is a "3/4 ton truck honed to be a 1/2 ton" if towing and payload capacities WERE NOT EVEN TESTED? that is the point of a truck, right? to haul stuff? i dont think fast when i think truck. i think work. and that 8000 lbs is anemic compared to the silverado (the tundra they tested on paper has a 10300 lb towing while the silverado has 10500 lbs and the tundra on paper has 1655 lbs payload while the silverado has 2010 lbs- making the silverado the winner).

overall it was a bad comparison, it was almost as if they threw it together just to be the first one to have a comparo. the trucks werent even equipped the same.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
chakis24 said:
no, i mean that all you have to do is enable tow/haul mode (on both the tundra and the silvy) and the silverado will have the expected hp and torque curves. they talk about a 4second loop in the engine computer. they say gm made it so that you have to floor it for 4 seconds to get all of the power from the engine (why they do this i dont know but they did). to disable that, you simply engage tow/haul mode and voila, all 367 horses.
I am not sure about this. Something sounds strange here. Look at the dyno chart, without the "spike" at the end, Silverado's 367hp 6.0L v8 is WELL below 300hp on wheels.

they also took theyre information on mpg from there long-term test vehicle- who knows how that was driven, if it was equipped the same way, it was the same engine, if it was 4x4, to many ifs there.
You think long term FE should lower than short term test drive FE? Edmunds already list the Silverado's a best tank of 14.2 mpg (including this test)! Actually, Edmunds has indicated that Silverado' FE in the same test is below its long term average 12.7mpg! Also I bet the Tundra is still in its break-in period.

Who plays some tricks on EPA test? :whatwhat:

that quote is false and uneducated simply because of this: how can you detemine this is a "3/4 ton truck honed to be a 1/2 ton" if towing and payload capacities WERE NOT EVEN TESTED? that is the point of a truck, right? to haul stuff? i dont think fast when i think truck. i think work. and that 8000 lbs is anemic compared to the silverado (the tundra they tested on paper has a 10300 lb towing while the silverado has 10500 lbs and the tundra on paper has 1655 lbs payload while the silverado has 2010 lbs- making the silverado the winner).
It comes down to how well and how confident you can get the job done. If by the number, F150 with 11,000lb is the winner. :lol:

overall it was a bad comparison, it was almost as if they threw it together just to be the first one to have a comparo. the trucks werent even equipped the same.
Indeed, agree, a bad comparison. Tundra should not just win by a slim margin. Edmunds throw in several subjective terms to balance the entire reviews.

·
Toyota 4 Life
Supra and Camry
983 Posts
i see y they did not put the F-150 in. wow. they did not wan it seen beat yet so they did not put it in. u know if they made it beat the F-150 there going to be alot craze going around. JAPAN/TOYOTA

·
Taco Tuesday!
1,604 Posts
this test isn't really significant. we'll wait for the bigger tests by c&d (a.k.a. honda lover) and motortrend and the like.

but congrats to the tundra on it's first comparo win nonetheless. the silverado and tundra are both really good trucks- i have a feeling we're gonna be feeling tundra vs. silverado in the next couple years rather than tundra vs. domestics- they're gonna be 1st and 2nd in many comparos i predict.

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,986 Posts
LextasyOverdose said:
this test isn't really significant. we'll wait for the bigger tests by c&d (a.k.a. honda lover) and motortrend and the like.

but congrats to the tundra on it's first comparo win nonetheless. the silverado and tundra are both really good trucks- i have a feeling we're gonna be feeling tundra vs. silverado in the next couple years rather than tundra vs. domestics- they're gonna be 1st and 2nd in many comparos i predict.

The Ford F-150 is significant as well...:thumbup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
dana_15 said:
I was wondering about the Ford also, but the Tundra still would have beaten it anyways. As for Ford, barring anything drastic they should be number one in sales with Chevy second. I believe that Toyota can only produce 200,000 Tundras next year.
Ford and Dodge are the also rans in this competition. They were excluded from the Edmunds comparo because in the last one the Titan beat them both. So Edmunds compared the two newcomers and the previous winner.

Both the F150 and the RAM are old and weak in comparison to the new vehicles on the road. Ford only can say it's number one for last year. It's sales dropped 'like a rock' ( oops wrong company ) last uear and they are closing F150 production capcity and letting 50% of their workforce leave by Sept.

Dodge is possibly in even worse condition. They have been closed for all of January because they still have too many 2005 and 2006 vehciles in stock. 2007?

The F150 won't beat the new Silverado this year. The Ram used to do 500K+ units, it might barely reach 300K this year and a lot of those will be old 2006's with $10K discounts.

·
Registered
343 Posts
chakis24 said:

This is not true on the Tundra. Yes there is a Tow/Haul mode but it's there to allow for a manual means of shifting the 6 gears. It doesn't do anything like the Silerado does. This 4 second loop is apparently a huge surprise ( kudos to Edmunds for bringing it to light ) to a a lot of Chevy enthusiasts. We sell them and it's the first I've heard of it.

·
it is what it is
07 Camry SE
2,294 Posts
kdhspyder said:
This is not true on the Tundra. Yes there is a Tow/Haul mode but it's there to allow for a manual means of shifting the 6 gears. It doesn't do anything like the Silerado does. This 4 second loop is apparently a huge surprise ( kudos to Edmunds for bringing it to light ) to a a lot of Chevy enthusiasts. We sell them and it's the first I've heard of it.
Having towed and hauled with both trucks that lag stands out big time. But still the Chevy is a nice truck.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts