Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. I have my project up and on the go just a couple of quick questions, hoping i can find some answers.

first the details.

I have a '81 tercel sr-5 been driving it for about 2 years. picked up from a wrecker for only $250 cdn. (it only had 125000km on it) the thing worked fine until i started to mess with it so i needed to do some engine work and in the process learned a whole hella lot about the engine (3A). ended up porting and polishing the head and did a valve job on it. reworked the intake and exhaust for port matching and basically rebuilt the whole upper end of the motor. also added a cold air intake. (put a scoop on the hood) looked really great i had very noticable gains in performance. almost too much since it took me about a month and a half to burn through the clutch and brakes. so my little beast died.

at this point the car is stripped down (and i mean stripped) i am currently doing all the body work to take out the nicks and dents also as with any toyota that old there is quite a bit of rust (honestly quite a bit of missing metal) so thats all getting replaced.

I was going to drop in a 4age (3rd gen 16v) and do as i like for aspiration (start with supercharger then add turbo later for twin charger) or whatever.

now for the questions....

is it possible to take the drivetrain from a newer (83-8?) tercel AWD wagon and put it on without having to change/fabricate a drive axle? I know the engine will bolt on to the tranny i have and i know the engine in the wagons is either the 3A or the 4A in any case.

secondly i was also considering a "R" series engine. does anyone have any experience with this? or have heard of it being done? i know generally "R" and "M" engines can be swapped (provided you can make the M's Fit) But all the sources i have found for engine/tranny combos only say that any "A" engine will be a bolt in swap but nothing on other options (fabbing is not an issue for me)

any answers / thoughts / comments are appreciated

here is a before picture anyone that has interest i will show afters when its is done

·
Registered
95 Tercel DX 5 speed
11 Posts
3a to 4agze

Your best option is to put in the 4AGZE from an MR2 supercharged. There's even a 6-speed transmission that will also bolt right in. Be sure to get an ecu from a supercharged mr2 as well. The 3A is great engine if you want 40mpg, but I don't think there is a whole lot performance mods you can do with it. 20R and 22R have a lower compression than 4a engines, but you can turbo them if you do it right. I'm not sure about how well they fit into the Tercel, so I would search for 20R tercel in the forums, though I haven't found anything at all containing 20r or 22r in the Tercel forum. Go to http://www.club4ag.com/ for more information on 4AG's.

·
The Mad Scientist
Lexus GS300
849 Posts
I agree that the 4AGZE will be a great engine for you. It will generally bolt into the existing mounts. You don't want the 6-speed as the gears are too close, but try to get a front clip from a JDM Toyota Levin. It should come with a LSD 5-speed tranny that can take a lot, that's the one you want.

There's no way that you will be able make the car AWD without MAJOR fabrication.

The R engines are dated and lack serious power, unless you really build them and turbocharge. They are very simple and fun to work on though.

If you really have the balls and want a ton of power, 3SGTE is the only choice. :)

Post pics!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts