Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right now, i have an Alpine (iPod) deck powering my stock speakers in my Gen5. the deck really improved the sound quality, even with stock speakers. eventually, i will get some decent component speakers for the front stage. i will use an MTX amp to power them, 40W X 2 RMS. but here's my question...

what would make a more dramatic increase in sound quality?
1) component speakers powered by the Alpine deck (no external amp)
2) or stock speakers amped up?

of course, i will amp the comps as soon as I get them. just wondering which short-term option gives better sound.

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
Well given your not running much power "it may be safe" to run the stocks without blowing them. In the same regard, if you don't mind losing them, then whatever, it doesnt matter.

40 watts isnt really gonna be alot of power to a comp set, but it should sound pretty good, gievn you get some that don't demand alot of power to perform well.

If you tried to run the comps off your H/U I dont htink you would like the results much. They just wouldnt be worth it at that point honestly either. If you stuck the amp on them, it would be much better I would think, even though you don't have much power to go with.

For you I'd almost ocnsider looking for just a little bit stronger amp. You can find one for a pretty good price used of car audio sites online from some very reliable people. The only reason I say that is because most people who have an amp like yours just use it on tweeters or midbass alone, not both.

But given you may not know alot yet about audio, It would be fine to just run the amp to the comps and have a little better sound. Like I said though, if you don't mind the stock breaking, then go for it, but i dont think they will be able to handle much power. Who knows though, they may be able to, they may not, only one way to find out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man. i'm looking to get these 6.5" components by Phoenix Gold. they handle 70W RMS, so i may need to get an amp to match that.

this is wut i'm trying to do with my Camry...i'm trying to emulate the JBL "Premium" system on the older Camry, where they have upgraded speakers in stock locations, but powered by an external amp. i'm just looking to have better sound, "okay" bass, without running a subwoofer.

i know i'll never have true bass w/o a sub, but im not into boomin bass down the block. i just need good midbass with mild "thump". so im plannin to upgrade all factory speakers n powering them up.

Corollacrazy42 said:
Well given your not running much power "it may be safe" to run the stocks without blowing them. In the same regard, if you don't mind losing them, then whatever, it doesnt matter.

40 watts isnt really gonna be alot of power to a comp set, but it should sound pretty good, gievn you get some that don't demand alot of power to perform well.

If you tried to run the comps off your H/U I dont htink you would like the results much. They just wouldnt be worth it at that point honestly either. If you stuck the amp on them, it would be much better I would think, even though you don't have much power to go with.

For you I'd almost ocnsider looking for just a little bit stronger amp. You can find one for a pretty good price used of car audio sites online from some very reliable people. The only reason I say that is because most people who have an amp like yours just use it on tweeters or midbass alone, not both.

But given you may not know alot yet about audio, It would be fine to just run the amp to the comps and have a little better sound. Like I said though, if you don't mind the stock breaking, then go for it, but i dont think they will be able to handle much power. Who knows though, they may be able to, they may not, only one way to find out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts