Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend said he can lower my car for me by 2" by compressing the stock springs

i drive a 94 gen 3 camry

i was just wondering if i should or not.

my driving gets a little wild at times so yeah.

also i'm worried if the front drops 2 inches, if it will rub against the fender when i turn

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
i had almost a 2 inch drop, i didnt rub, but it also depends on your tire size, offset, and rim size. You should just get new springs/struts, do it the right way first.

·
Registered
994 Posts
sounds like ******* engineering. dont be a cheapass. do it the right/safe way, buy real lowering springs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't really want to spend that much money on my camry
and i don't really have that much money to spend, being a stundent

the engine vibrates like crazy when i feed the throttle between 1.7-2.3k rpm
which drives me crazy

i doubt i'll keep the car longer then 2 or 3 years

no heat will be involved, just putting 2 clamps on each spring
i saw clamps for AUD$55 for a set of 4.

·
Art In Motion
95 2Door Camry
310 Posts
NOOOOOO!!! the clamp thing, DONT DO IT! If you catch a bump and so much as compress it then the spring retracts it will blow the bolts and send a nut thru your tire or into your engine bay and REALLY fuck up some shit...I mean I have seen those things break and send a bolt into the engine like a bullet....

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
^amen. do it right if at all.:slap:

·
Australian TN'er
272 Posts
Springs are made to *SPECIFIC* conditions and strengths. By compressing them, they will not be working at their conditions and thus it will *NOT* work as it is supposed to. It weakens the springs and you'll get a bouncy dangerous ride.

IMHO NEVER compress/reset springs. It is unsafe and definitely not worth the trouble when crap happens because of it.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
In addition to what everyone else is saying, springs aren't that expensive. You shouldn't be paying more than $200 for them, and installing them isn't that hard. I did it no problem.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
2,599 Posts
its unsafe! also, if you car is insured, you will not claim for compesation if you had an accident! sorry if i sound rude, but thats the way it is.

For your safety and the safety of other people, buy new springs. (NO CUTTING, CLAMPING,CHOPPING,etc....) :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts