Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 2se gasoline 1986 camry use a electronic vacuum regulating valve or a high altitude compensator? Chilton's only shows those two in diagrams of diesel engines.

My hunch is they should not have been on my car.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,488 Posts
Unlikely. Those both sound like carburetor (gas) or mechanical injection (diesel) items. Your engine is EFI.

There are a number of VSV (vacuum switching valves) that do perform various operations on your engine though. (AC idle-up, evap system control, EGR control, etc.)

-Charlie

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unlikely. Those both sound like carburetor (gas) or mechanical injection (diesel) items. Your engine is EFI.

There are a number of VSV (vacuum switching valves) that do perform various operations on your engine though. (AC idle-up, evap system control, EGR control, etc.)

-Charlie
That what I was thinking. I see it does have a couple vsv.....
  • The camry I have one, but the more I learned about it, the less likely it seems it belongs there.
  • Its bolted to valve cover, above spark plug closest to driver side. The two wires broke off.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That what I was thinking. I see it does have a couple vsv.....
  • The camry I have one, but the more I learned about it, the less likely it seems it belongs there.
  • Its bolted to valve cover, above spark plug closest to driver side. The two wires broke off.
Would a 2se gasoline 1986 camry use a electronic vacuum regulating valve or a high altitude compensator? Chilton's only shows those two in diagrams of diesel engines.

My hunch is they should not have been on my car.

Attachments

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,488 Posts
That looks original to me. Sounds like Toyota just changed their terminology between the gen1 and gen2 Camry. I don't know what that regulates, but that unit will either pass air/vacuum or not depending on the energized state of the solenoid in the body of that valve.

-Charlie

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Charlie.
The piece isn't in diagram for EGR system....perhaps it was before the computer compensated for high altitude.....the 86 also has a cold start valve/injector and I think subsequent fuel injected toyotas had that function taken over by ecu

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,488 Posts
Altitude compensation shouldn't be needed with a vane airflow meter. That could also be for evaporative emissions control, AC idle-up or maybe some other function.

-Charlie

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Altitude compensation shouldn't be needed with a vane airflow meter. That could also be for evaporative emissions control, AC idle-up or maybe some other function.

-Charlie
Thanks Charlie....I'm glad you're still here sharing your knowledge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts